Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
hithard
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that this is being said alot but I just got a 07 Coiler frame. I want to hit some of the bigger jumps but I still trail ride. Do you think that a 160 travel fork wold be ok or should I go with a 150? I also am thinking of a Rockshock with ajustable travel. Any help would be great.

·
Do it all or nothing
736 Posts
I'd say definitely get a 160. There are many options for a travel adjustable fork: Wotan, 36 TALAS, Lyrik, Totem, or 55 ata. My personal preference for a fork is 55 ata, but that just me. What is your budget?

·
hithard
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am trying to stay under $500. I was looking at the 55R and the Domain 318. Like I said before thou I do trail ride AND go to DH parks. I don't want something that is going to crap out in 6 months.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
should be 1 1/8 size headtube, and id avoid the latest zocchi 55's, people seem to encounter nothing but trouble with them

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
in all honesty from what ive seen of these forums people have not been having the best of times with the latest zocchi forks, head over to the shocks and suspension forum to see for yourself.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would go with a Domain 318 with U-Trun. It is not quiet as supple on small quick bumps as the '06 66 i had but still a really nice fork and it is bullet proof like the old Marizzochi forks. And well in your budget.

·
Registered
633 Posts
stubs179 said:
I would go with a Domain 318 with U-Trun. It is not quiet as supple on small quick bumps as the '06 66 i had but still a really nice fork and it is bullet proof like the old Marizzochi forks. And well in your budget.
I agree, I have the non u-turn version Domain 318 in 180mm and it is great fork. It might not have the adjustments of the more expensive forks but on this bike I was looking for "set it and forget it" and it has worked flawlessly. They are pretty cheap too, I think I paid $350 shipped. The u-turn version in 160mm would be a killer option.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Duckiller said:
I agree, I have the non u-turn version Domain 318 in 180mm and it is great fork. It might not have the adjustments of the more expensive forks but on this bike I was looking for "set it and forget it" and it has worked flawlessly. They are pretty cheap too, I think I paid $350 shipped. The u-turn version in 160mm would be a killer option.
You can make a 180mm Domain a 160mm by putting in a 160mm "spring shaft ass." part# 11.4015.044.010 from RS. You keep all of the same part and spring. Just change the inner shaft. Looks like it is easy to change and is only about $30, i have been told. Will be doing it as soon as i have the money.

·
Registered
633 Posts
stubs179 said:
You can make a 180mm Domain a 160mm by putting in a 160mm "spring shaft ass." part# 11.4015.044.010 from RS. You keep all of the same part and spring. Just change the inner shaft. Looks like it is easy to change and is only about $30, i have been told. Will be doing it as soon as i have the money.
Mine is on my Stinky so the 180mm is what I was looking for. I have the luxury of having two bikes so I can keep each specific for what I am doing. If I was just going to have 1 bike I would get a 08 Coilair w/ Magic Link with a 09 66 w/ TST. That would be a hot setup as long as the Zooch did not crap on you.

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
stubs179 said:
**ding***ding***ding we have a winner. Domain can be had\configured in 3 setups, all by simply changing stock internals with RS branded parts.

180mm fixed travel
160mm fixed travel
115-160mm U-Turn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.