Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an 05 Giant Boulder SE, and I'm looking to replace the craptacular SR Suntour XC60 fork that came on it. I am on a budget however, I'd say about $250 tops. Is there anything in this price range that's even worth looking at?? Must have V-brake mounts. I ride a mix of pavement and local park trails, nothing really extreme.

Thanks!
Bryan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Bryank930 said:
I currently have an 05 Giant Boulder SE, and I'm looking to replace the craptacular SR Suntour XC60 fork that came on it. I am on a budget however, I'd say about $250 tops. Is there anything in this price range that's even worth looking at?? Must have V-brake mounts. I ride a mix of pavement and local park trails, nothing really extreme.

Thanks!
Bryan
Isn't that almost as much as you paid for the bike?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
laxguy86 said:
Isn't that almost as much as you paid for the bike?
Yeah, but, oh well. I bought it last year, and didn't use it much, now that my friends and I are riding pretty regularly now, I just want to upgrade it a little, nothing crazy. Just better than it is now.

·
Expert Crasher
6,358 Posts
Look at the Rock Shox Tora line - I have two of them, a solo air 318 at 130mm for my primary bike and a coil sprung 302 with u-turn (90-130mm) on my single speed.

I bought the coil version with u-turn from my LBS for $220. Figure on finding it a bit cheaper online. For the gee whiz factor, they have a white version for 2007.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Bryank930 said:
SR Suntour XC60
Does that mean 60 mm travel?
Generally, you should not use a fork that is much longer (or shorter) than the original. The length directly affects the geometry -> handling.

Marzocchi's MX series is pretty good value for money; they may not have lots of features but they are functional and reliable. The thing is, they tend to be taller than most other brands.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I upgraded to a RockShox Dart 3, on my Trek and it's like a night and day difference over the stock RST front fork!!! I paid like $170 shipped from pricepoint

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
perttime said:
Does that mean 60 mm travel?
Generally, you should not use a fork that is much longer (or shorter) than the original. The length directly affects the geometry -> handling.

Marzocchi's MX series is pretty good value for money; they may not have lots of features but they are functional and reliable. The thing is, they tend to be taller than most other brands.
I believe its 80mm travel.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
keep an eye on craigslist, etc

i got a brand new rock shox judy tt the other day that someone had just laying around for 50 bucks....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts