Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, MTBR is testing a beta feature for signatures. By clicking this link, you'll be able to add a visual list of things you own to display to other members. This test is still in the early stages and very limited, but it will allow you to make your sig more dynamic and useful. Shoot us a PM to provide your feedback.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Giant Reign 3 with '05 Manitou Minute 1. I'd like to get something with a little more travel and adjustability. My current budget is about $500 and my local bike shop has three forks in my price range.

2007 Fox Vanilla 32 RLC: 140 mm

2006 Marzocchi All Mountain SL, air spring: 130-150 mm

2006 Rock Shox Pike air spring: 140 mm, the non-uturn version

I'd mostly be doing aggressive XC with some jumps and drops, Super D racing, and occasional DH racing for fun. All these forks are about the same price, the shop is having the 2006 forks on sale.

I'm debating whether or not I need a coil spring or if air will be fine and if I need a 20 mm through axle or not. I'm only 150 lbs so not to heavy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
out of those three i'd go with the Marz 150 since it would be the best match for the bike travel/geometry wise. The TST on the fork is a nice way to adjust compression really quick. I normally would ride it in the DS downhill position. You could also set it to AM if you're hittin some drops or just lock it out completely if you wanna mash. The pike is a sweet fork and there are a few reign guys running it. It would be a good for more xc oriented riding. Another plus of the pike is the maxle, but you would need a new front hub/wheel to run that fork.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
The Reign seems to like 150mm travel up front, but climbing with that much a-c is not great. Therefore I would recommend something with 150mm travel, but with a way to reduce that travel quickly for climbing the steeps.

My first recommendation for you would be the 2006 Z150 Light w/ETA - IF you could find one.

Another fork that looks interesting to me for the Reign would be the 2007 Fox 36 TALAS.

There are some other very good choices out there, but those would be my top two.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Reign Fork

I believe I replied to you in the Giant Forum, Go with Marzocchi AMSL 150mm it's probably one of the best fork you can use with the Reign because of weight and adjustablity. Me, My Brother and a friends of ours, we all have Marzocchi AMSL on our Reign. if you want to use a 20mm thruaxle fork I would go with Marzocchi Z1FR SL 150mm.

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
sorry to barge in but i would dig to hear more about the possibilities of fitting a pike. i own a pike 454 coil and i am lookin at a fs frame but cant discredit the 2006 reign frame as an option which is on a huge sale now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ill let you know how the Pike works on my 06 Reign in about a week,got 1 coming in.I like the way the stock Nixon rode but it is going for repairs.Wanted to keep the same geometry,I think the 36 might have made it to tall for my kind of riding.Definetly considered to 07 Mars AM1sl but at almost $800 no way.The Pike seemed to fit what I want,20mm Maxle looks real nice,Dual air,axle to crown height.Heard nothing but good things about them.Will let you know Juan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.