Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 299 Posts

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What fork do you run on you Coiler and why? - post pics too :)
Are you happy/planning to upgrade?

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
66sl, but im too shy to post pics, the bikes in a "transitional" phase lol

·
Registered
339 Posts
Pike....The only fork for the all mountain/trail bike....J/K, I know there are plenty of other good ones, this one has worked really well for me...If I was a little more FR or DH oriented maybe a 66 or a Lyric. Give me a couple of days on the pics. I will post about my new Roco TST later this week...

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
66 all the way

as far as i am concerned, the 66 with eta is the way to go. not only do you have a super slack head angle going down hills, but you can flip the eta switch on the fork and compress it about 2-3 inches and steepen up your head angle to make climbing easier. Its dual coil with an air assist preload, plus it has a compression knob for on the fly adjustment.

its the only way to roll if you want the best of both worlds. Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

dusty

·
Registered
260 Posts
Manitou Travis single 150 TPC+

It's a great fork. The Lyrik, 66 and 36 were my other choices but price was my main concern so I got the travis (~500$) and I'm pleased with it. Its has the "right" A-C for me, not too heavy (5.6) and the TPC+ system works like a dream.
I'm watching those seals carefully though...:skep:

Attachments

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
dunno if your weight conscious or not with your build capozz, but if you are i would seriously advise against a coil 66 and opt for the air, save you a huge chunk o weight straight away.

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
ntha said:
It's a great fork. The Lyrik, 66 and 36 were my other choices but price was my main concern so I got the travis (~500$) and I'm pleased with it. Its has the "right" A-C for me, not too heavy (5.6) and the TPC+ system works like a dream.
I'm watching those seals carefully though...:skep:
yeaa another plain flat primer grey coiler :thumbsup:
Pike on mine
makes it more an all-mountain trail bike and a little less DH/FR (lighter+lower)

·
Chris Bling
2,594 Posts
coil or air

da_eddio said:
dunno if your weight conscious or not with your build capozz, but if you are i would seriously advise against a coil 66 and opt for the air, save you a huge chunk o weight straight away.
its not a weight issue here. it the feel of the fork off the drops and the longevety of the performance. Air forks are nice, but dont have the same feel as the coil. Air ramps up faster than the coil and therefore has more of a harsh landing. Then, if you adjust your fork so it will take the hits, it feels rigid riding through rock gardens. Not to mention the reliability of air forks (it not to good) i must say, the 66sl is a sick fork if you want more of all mountain riding. The ata adjustment on the fork always unscrews as you hit bumps and drops, and before you know it, you are back up at 7 inches, rather that the 5 you started in. Stick with coil if you want more freeride, air if you are a weight concious all mountainer. and for hecks sake, dont get a fox!

dusty

ps, if you do give in and succome to buying a fox fork, just know that even the heaviest spring you put in the vanilla will bottom out off of a 2 foot drop. i see it happen every day on my buddy's turner

·
solid gold plated
878 Posts
06 66sl dont have ata, so thats not an issue.

capozz if u wanna find out more about the 66sl, give turner forums a search, loads of guys over there have them and should be able to answer any questions you have.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Depending on what the bike was being used for, either the stock 66 (which is super tall - the '05), or a Pike 454 Dual Air. Pics are in the sig.

Now that the big bike arrived, the Coiler will likely always have the Pike on it. Depending on how this season goes, I may look for something taller at the end of the year (newer 66, Fox 36, ot Lyrik).

·
7am Backcountry ;- )
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
konut said:
its about half pound or somewhere near.

da eddio could you not run helium in your forks to save a bit more weight.
I like the sound of that ;) rofl

1 - 20 of 299 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.