Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of embarrassing, I have a FOX fork that came on a bike I recently purchased and I don't know if it is standard QR or QR15 or what. I think this is standard QR, but I'm not sure, Are all QR15 thru axles or not?
I've been riding a Lefty since 02, so I'm totally out of touch with traditional forks and the technology with them. I can take a better pic if needed. Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nomütze said:
you have open drop outs...quickrelease-->no thruaxle
closed drop outs....thruaxle ...either 20/15

http://www.foxracingshox.com/bike/10/forks/32_F-SERIES
Okay, you guys are starting to confuse me. Can you tell me how to describe what I have here? I see I have open drop outs, but are there different sizes?

So if you have open drop outs it is Standard QR, there is no open Drop out QR15?

·
EDR
10,441 Posts
Okay, you guys are starting to confuse me. Can you tell me how to describe what I have here?
If your dropouts (at the bottom of the fork) are cut/open/do not fully make a circle, like your picture shows, then it is a standard QR.

If the dropouts are one continuous piece, with not cut-out/which makes for a full circle, which means an axle must be pushed through from one side to the other........it's a 15 or 20mm dropout. Whether or not it is a "QR" depends on whether or not it requires that Allen bolts need to be removed from the axle to remove it from the bike. QR15 and QR20mm axles are (reletively) new. Before there was "quick release" through axle options like offered from Fox and Rock Shox, you needed to carry tools with you to remove the screws that fixed the axle. That was the only way to remove the wheel for transport or whatever. Now, with Fox QR through axles (both 15 and 20mm) and RS Maxle (RS name for 20mm QR) you can remove the through axle "quickly", hence the QR designation.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
eatdrinkride said:
If your dropouts (at the bottom of the fork) are cut/open/do not fully make a circle, like your picture shows, then it is a standard QR.

If the dropouts are one continuous piece, with not cut-out/which makes for a full circle, which means an axle must be pushed through from one side to the other........it's a 15 or 20mm dropout. Whether or not it is a "QR" depends on whether or not it requires that Allen bolts need to be removed from the axle to remove it from the bike. QR15 and QR20mm axles are (reletively) new. Before there was "quick release" through axle options like offered from Fox and Rock Shox, you needed to carry tools with you to remove the screws that fixed the axle. That was the only way to remove the wheel for transport or whatever. Now, with Fox QR through axles (both 15 and 20mm) and RS Maxle (RS name for 20mm QR) you can remove the through axle "quickly", hence the QR designation.
That is what I figured open drop outs = standard QR, but then the first response told me I have QR15. I though maybe there were different sizes of open dropout QR, but I didn't think so.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.