Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there's already a thread on this (didn't see one), but I'm trying to get a gauge on which fork people are putting on the front of their Burners, and what they find works well as an XC fork.

For what it's worth, I'll be moving my Marzocchi Atom 80 onto my new Burner frame, but I'm not sure that's going to be a good match.

·
SALLGUD
449 Posts
130mm was a no-go

I started out with a 130mm Vanilla on mine but hated it! That thing steered like a plow/dump truck/etc. In other words, it felt ponderous. Bought a new spring from Fox, dropped the travel down to 100mm, and that change made me head over heels in love with the handling of my Burner. Nice and quick. I don't know about 80mm, but know I didn't like the 130.

Michael

·
Registered
173 Posts
The bike is designed for 100 mm. I use a Marz Marathon S 105 and love it. It's a little heavy being dual coil and all but it is super stiff and the ETA is a nice feature when it comes time to point it up hill. If you look around you can probably find an 04 closeout for under 350 on the web.

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mtber36 said:
The bike is designed for 100 mm. I use a Marz Marathon S 105 and love it. It's a little heavy being dual coil and all but it is super stiff and the ETA is a nice feature when it comes time to point it up hill. If you look around you can probably find an 04 closeout for under 350 on the web.
Yep, I've seen the coil-version Marathons on sale, some as low as 280 (mostly the 120mm, but sometimes you'll see a 105 in there). I really like the Marzocchi coil forks, even though they're boat anchor heavy. They don't seem to do air quite as well (I have a XFly on my hardtail that ain't the best in the world).

100mm seems to be the consensus. I'll check the sticky on the Burner setups.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
When I first built up my Burner I had a Marzocchi MX Comp on there. 105mm. It wasn't that great. I then put a 04 Vanilla RLC on there, set to 105mm and it rode great, really, really great. Marathon S is a very nice fork also, but the stanchions are 30mm vs Fox's 32mm, the latter is said to be significantly stiffer. I find Vanilla to be far plusher than Float, many disagree. You can make some custom shims and run the Vanilla at 110 or 115, anything longer and it won't hande well. Furthermore, when I ran a 05 Vanilla on my Spot with 130mm extension, it was noodlish, while at 105mm (on my Burner) it was very stiff. To make things simple, I'd recommend a Vanilla set anywhere between 100 and 115mm.

_MK

·
Registered
668 Posts
Roostalee said:
Sorry if there's already a thread on this (didn't see one), but I'm trying to get a gauge on which fork people are putting on the front of their Burners, and what they find works well as an XC fork.

For what it's worth, I'll be moving my Marzocchi Atom 80 onto my new Burner frame, but I'm not sure that's going to be a good match.
I've got a Float 130 (have been riding it a month). It's been fine - the A to C is the same as my Psylo when it was dialed out to 125. The only trails I've had it on have been pretty open (Moab - slickrock and Porc Rim, and Green Mountain in Denver) so I haven't really been able to accurately assess whether it's too tall in the corners on twisty singletrack. If so, I'll drop it down to 110ish. I'm very happy with the fork so far. It was nice to have a little extrra cush for Moab.

Definitely get a 100mm fork - the 80mm will feel like a rigid compared to the rear suspension...

·
Registered
131 Posts
minute

Roostalee said:

i am running a manitou minute 1. i run it mostly at 130 to be plush as possible. it seems to handle fine. when it gets real twisty i run it at 100. in ither position it does not climb technical terrain like a 5 spot. but if relatively smooth, seems to climb like a crank addicted goat on a sugar high.........

·
MTBR Tool
831 Posts
bdog said:
i am running a manitou minute 1. i run it mostly at 130 to be plush as possible. it seems to handle fine. when it gets real twisty i run it at 100. in ither position it does not climb technical terrain like a 5 spot. but if relatively smooth, seems to climb like a crank addicted goat on a sugar high.........
Reba Race U-Turn - gives you the 85-115mm option...

·
I coulda been a contenda
31 Posts
05-Marathon XC

My .02 - I just finished building up a new Burner and haven't managed to ride it much (the hills around Laguna Beach is it so far). I tried pedaling around a few of the variable travel forks out there and decided coil (vs. stricly air) was the most rewarding (I'm 6-3, 200). The new Marathon XC is wonderfully plush and predictably stiff, albeit a tad heavy. If you're not in the market to build up an ultralight xc racer, consider the Marathon XC or one of its brethren. 120 up front makes the bike ride very tall in the climbs, so opt for one with a lock down. A 100 set up in the front makes the Burner one very agile climber. Enjoy. I know I will.

·
Registered
39 Posts
RS SID was not the best idea...

Way way light (2.8lbs!) and very plush and adjustable etc - but just too flimsy and flexible; guess you and everyone else figured that though, doh! DT recommends 100mm travel forks so who's going to argue with that. Tried some Marathons, they are stiff but are just too heavy for my liking. Leaning towards the F100RLT, but they are silly expensive. Now how about those Rebas? Interested to hear any views on these - I know Smokey has two now.

Roostalee said:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like my talas, oh yes I do

I have the Talas on mine. It wouldn't be a great choice for heavy dudes as it goes through the travel fairly easily but for me at 11.5 stone it just feels just right and very plush. The option to have the handling faster at 90 or the big travel at 130 just allows you to pick the handling for the terrain. That said I don't like fast handling off road so it might not be fast enough for you.

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I'm a few pounds over 200 so what I've read about the TALAS doesn't seem to make it ideal for me. What I've been reading and researching is leading me towards either a Vanilla RL (100mm) or a Marathon XC (105mm)---providing I use the right springs. Both have lockouts (ETA for the Zoke) which would likely be the only fiddling I'd ever need.

Not too sure if a Float would be a better choice than the Vanilla, except for the ~.5 lb weight savings. I've not yet heard compelling arguments to say the Float is as plush as the Vanilla. That said, I would like to keep the Burner build around, say, 28 lbs. 25-26 would be sweet, but my fat arse would likely break something with that kinda build :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.