Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I know—a topic that's probably been beat to death.

I'm just baffled by the gravel biking craze. First, NOBODY likes to ride on gravel. It sucks, period. Second, mountain bikes are vastly better suited to ride on gravel than so-called "gravel bikes."

So what is it? "Mountain biking for wussies?" Is it entirely a marketing scheme concocted by manufacturers to justify selling yet another class of bikes? Or was it actually driven by rider demand?

Scott

· Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry, I know-a topic that's probably been beat to death.

I'm just baffled by the gravel biking craze. First, NOBODY likes to ride on gravel. It sucks, period. Second, mountain bikes are vastly better suited to ride on gravel than so-called "gravel bikes."

So what is it? "Mountain biking for wussies?" Is it entirely a marketing scheme concocted by manufacturers to justify selling yet another class of bikes? Or was it actually driven by rider demand?

Scott
Okay, apologies. I see now the topic is beat to death and I'm massively late to the party. Mods feel free to delete. Or if everyone chooses, feel free to bash gravel bikes and gravel biking here some more! :-D (It's always entertaining.)

· since 4/10/2009
37,135 Posts
Sorry, I know-a topic that's probably been beat to death.

Scott
It is driven by rider demand. Most likely roadies who want to get out of traffic and ride on quieter roads that may or may not be paved.

Where I live, mt bikers have been riding the gravel roads for decades to access choice bits of singletrack. It's how it's always been done. Now the roadies can do it, too. I'm good with the "new" category of bikes. Frankly, I think "gravel" or "all-road" bikes are what road bikes for non-racers always should have been. And yeah, they really suck on fresh, soft gravel or gravel that's big and coarse (and mtbs are much better for this). Touring bikes have always been able to do this, but they're sluggish. Some people want this (sluggish is good when you're hauling a load). Others don't.

· Registered
1,270 Posts
I grew up in central Missouri and many of the rural roads there are gravel. Later, I moved to central Kentucky. Kentucky is (IMO) a much better place for road cycling because the small backroads are almost all paved. So you can cruise through the scenic countryside and only deal with a minimal number of cars.

My brother still lives in central Missouri and he is a gravel rider. I see the photos he takes on his rides and they look pretty sweet. His gravel rides are usually part paved and part gravel. He's much faster on a drop-bar gravel bike than he would be on a more upright MTB.

I live in the Saint Louis area now, and there are people here with gravel bikes, but we really don't have many gravel roads in this area.

· Registered
4,127 Posts
You are correct, NOBODY likes riding gravel. They keep having all these gravel races and no one shows up. They make all these gravel bikes and no one buys them. It must be because every gravel race is won by guys on mountain bikes since they are so much better on gravel. You sir are a friggin genius!

· Registered
3,940 Posts
First, NOBODY likes to ride on gravel. It sucks, period
So you don't like riding on gravel or dirt roads? That's fine. Newsflash! Others do. I do. And for smooth gravel, stone dust and easy dirt, narrower tires, minimal tread and drop bars are the way to go. You're in the saddle pedaling, not wrestling with rocks and roots, so you don't need wide straight bars. The drops give you more hand positions.
For rougher gravel or rougher dirt, mid-fats on my gravel bike or my MTB are in order. Ride what you like, the way you like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.