Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new carbon bike coming that I'd like to protect. I've used helicopter tape in the past, but Shelter Tape is apparently thicker and more squishy.

We've made cheaper alternatives for sealant, tubeless tape, fork oil and numerous other homebrews but this one seems to be a holdout.

What exactly is Shelter Tape and does it exist in some other form?

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Basically to me it is just like the helicopter tape but SUPER thick stuff. Seems that there are two options for it out there... 1m+ roll of the stuff or "strips" ala All Mountain Style pack style.

Find it to be somewhat frustrating like most tapes, can't really get a good handle on it so if you put a fingertip in the sticky portion then you get a dirty imprint and small section that won't stick.

@PHeller I put mine on as soon as I got my Smash and it has already taken a beating from rocks that got kicked up. Looking at it afterwards you would not know that it took a rock hit.

·
Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
3,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found out what Shelter Tape actually is.

It's not helicopter tape. Helicopter tape has great abrasion resistance, but very little impact absorption. It's not even double or triple layer helicopter tape.

I was curious what made shelter tape "pillowy" and soft. I knew that I had encountered similar stuff before, but in much smaller shapes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Find it to be somewhat frustrating like most tapes, can't really get a good handle on it so if you put a fingertip in the sticky portion then you get a dirty imprint and small section that won't stick.
Wet your hands and sticky side of tape with a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol. Place the tape where you want it and squeegee out the excess fluid. Windex may work also.

Rich

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Wet your hands and sticky side of tape with a 50/50 mix of water and alcohol. Place the tape where you want it and squeegee out the excess fluid. Windex may work also.

Rich
I've never worked with it, but I imagine you could also cut it oversize, apply by holding the edges, and then just trim off the parts that you touched as it is being applied.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.