Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably should have put this in Wheels and Tires, but I figure this would get more views.

Just built up a new bike, and it shifted fine on the stand, but when I took it out for a shakedown, I overshifted the chain into the spokes, jamming up the rear wheel. Got it free, but the wheel wouldn't freewheel, the chain would hang slack on the chainstay.

It's a Hope wheelset, a Pro 2 EVO hub built with a Tech XC rim.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,270 Posts
Have you taken the wheel out of the bike and attempted to turn it by hand? The freehub will come off just by pulling on it on a Hope hub.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've turned it by hand, it will spin, but only for a short time, and feels very rough.

I am planning on popping the freehub off the hub, just wanted to get a few ideas on what to be looking for before I did. If someone has experience with this problem, they can point me straight to the issue, instead of me having to track it down.

·
Nurse Burn
ya like dags?
5,783 Posts
If the chain got jammed behind the spoke and cassette, it may have popped the freehub out a little bit and got it bound up. Not sure about the Hopes, but a lot of hubs have a plastic dust ring around the outside of the freehub where it meets the shell. If the freehub popped out a bit, that dust ring may be jammed in there all goofy.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the chain got jammed behind the spoke and cassette, it may have popped the freehub out a little bit and got it bound up. Not sure about the Hopes, but a lot of hubs have a plastic dust ring around the outside of the freehub where it meets the shell. If the freehub popped out a bit, that dust ring may be jammed in there all goofy.
That could be it, the Hope freehubs can be popped of by hand, I'm sure the pressure of the chain wedged in there has to be more than you can create by hand.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,266 Posts
I am planning on popping the freehub off the hub, just wanted to get a few ideas on what to be looking for before I did. If someone has experience with this problem, they can point me straight to the issue, instead of me having to track it down.
you're not going to learn much of anything until you remove the freehub and look in there. and you might as well clean and lube it while you're at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.