Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Depending on your exact trail-type preference and exactly how far out of Reading you want to go: Swatara, French Creek, Mount Gretna are the usual suspects with Jordan, South Mountain-Emmaus and Salisbury Walking Purchase Park all outside Allentown and kinda fun if you're willing to go a little farther.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
alderash said:
I've heard about French Creek. I'll check it out.

Thanks
No problem. You probably heard this then but just FYI anyway that FC is very hilly, wooded terrain with some decent elevation changes and a lot of rock in places. Good amount of mileage there but definitely a totally different kind of riding experience. Depending on your point-of-view riding a lightish HT XC rig there might leave you a little beat-up as compared to racing around the Marsh. I was much happier riding a fairly burly AM fully there though.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Mt. Penn(Antietam) has some of the best trails around too, and is literally right in Reading's back yard. Parking down at the lake, or up at Rotary Park is your choice. There are trails everywhere.
Also, don't forget about Camp Mack(Brickerville) Great place to ride with a little bit of everything. My personal favorite.
I would say it would be about half way between Blue Marsh and French Creek as far as overall terrain. You can make the ride as easy, or as difficult as your mood takes you.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
A-Ray said:
Also, don't forget about Camp Mack(Brickerville) Great place to ride with a little bit of everything. My personal favorite.
I would say it would be about half way between Blue Marsh and French Creek as far as overall terrain. You can make the ride as easy, or as difficult as your mood takes you.
Does Camp Mack require you to register and get a permit to ride there? I vaguely remember reading something like that . . .

·
Registered
825 Posts
Yes you do, $25 per year.
If you have never been there and want to check it out let me know. I will be up there tomorrow morning, possibly Sunday I may hit Gretna(Pinch Road lot) or French(Shed Road lot) instead.
As long as you are with a registered rider you can come check it out and then decide if you want to get the permit. I got mine the day I went there, it is a nice place to ride and only 15 minutes from my house...
All proceeds benefit the Boy Scouts of America. You can only get the permit at Green Mountain Cyclery in Ephrata, and all payment must be by check(no credit cards or cash)

·
Registered
147 Posts
So I grew up in the Reading area and moved west 20 years ago. I have never been mountain biking in the Reading area. Sounds like some good stuff is going on. Next time I come to visit my Mom is there a nice shop that would rent me a good bike?

This might solve some of my boredom issues when I am in town....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Thanks, A-Ray. I've heard good things about Mack. If I lived closer, I'd probably register and ride there but I'm way over in Quakertown south of Bethlehem. I was to Gretna last July after the bad thunderstorms that hit there and liked it even though I didn't know where I was going through the fallen branches and washouts and ended up on some fireroad from Pinch and "discovered" Dinosaur Rock which was pretty bizarre. Some good riding out that way! :thumbsup:

On weekends, I'm part of a group building a brand-new 12-mile mtb trail system in Nockamixon State Park near Quakertown that should be done by late spring. Hope you'll ride it if you're ever over this way. XC-style similar to Blue Marsh with lake views but all in woods with multiple creek crossings. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
wheelhoss said:
So I grew up in the Reading area and moved west 20 years ago. I have never been mountain biking in the Reading area. Sounds like some good stuff is going on. Next time I come to visit my Mom is there a nice shop that would rent me a good bike?

This might solve some of my boredom issues when I am in town....
JB mountain bikes has some real nice demos

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Mt. Penn was nice this morning. A little soft in spots, but not enough to do any trail damage. Rocks and logs were dry enough that it didn't get too slippery.

Which one is Two Time *****? I'm sure I know the trail, just not the name.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
A-line with the new step down gap is sweet....length seams just about right approx 20' if you take it to the bottom.goes into a steep hill which will have a kicker at the top soon, a berm at bottom into a table top and or hip jump,with a possible step up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.