Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new hardtail DJ bike that can also ride the local BMX tracks. I've set my sights on two frames, the blakmrkt Mob and the Addict Cycles frame.

The addict cycles frame is really cheap right now but the BB height is shown to be 13.25" which is a full inch higher than the MOB. I have a 6" travel trailbike and the the bb height on that frame is not even that tall.

My questions is, what are the benefits and drawbacks of a higher BB and what does it do to how the bike handles, jumps, manuals, etc.

Thanks

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Higher bb give you more clearance. But a lower bb makes the bike more stable and gives it a lower center of balance. This makes it a little bit easier to whip it around. Nothing that the rider can't compensate for.

I've got my Addict built up with dual 24s. Super sick hardtail. Weighs in at 29.5 pounds. Thinking about throwing a lighter set of 26s on there. It's very versatile, that's what I like about it. BTW, my BB is right at 12 inches. It's just a hair lower than my old Coiler with dual 24s.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A higher BB will make the bike less stable on the ground and in corners, and makes it a little harder to balance in a manual. However, it does also make it easier to get the front end off the ground, makes the bike feel "poppier" in general, and makes the bars feel lower without having to run a rediculous setup in the front. For me, the "ideal" BB height on a 26" wheeled bike for the purposes you describe is about 12.25-12.5. Any lower and you clip your pedals alot and the bike starts to feel sluggish, any higher and the bike starts to feel really unstable, at least for me. I personally think the Blackmarkets are a really good bike, and I don't so much dig the look of the Addict, so a Mob would be my choice between the two. That being said, I wish the BB on the Mob was just a little higher (because with a 50-60mm fork, it's around 12") and every Mob I've ridden has very noticable flex in the back end, which tends to give it a "noodle" feel under full power sprints and sometimes while cornering.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
I've pondered this same question....
I would classify those two frames in rather different categories actually... one is aluminum (easton rad?) and the other is chromo, among other differences... but I don't have experience with either first hand, so can't help you much. Also, something to consider, the Addict's advertised bb height might've been measured with a taller a2c height fork (maybe even a 5" fork?) than you plan on running, that would affect the bb height.

Garson413 - what would be your ideal bb height for a 24" bike? just want to hear your opinion on this one....

and btw- mine is 11.3".... pretty low, about the same as my wethepeople bmx bike, but that has 180mm cranks (no suspension), and my eastern w/ 24's has 175mm crank. pedals scrape, but I like how it manuals and rails around, and I don't do 50/50 grinds anyway...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Higher bb give you more clearance. But a lower bb makes the bike more stable and gives it a lower center of balance. This makes it a little bit easier to whip it around. Nothing that the rider can't compensate for.

I've got my Addict built up with dual 24s. Super sick hardtail. Weighs in at 29.5 pounds. Thinking about throwing a lighter set of 26s on there. It's very versatile, that's what I like about it. BTW, my BB is right at 12 inches. It's just a hair lower than my old Coiler with dual 24s.

why are you running your hoses and cables so long?? can you really turn the bars that much more? i've seen peoples heads get wrapped up in longs ones...

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
mx_599 said:
why are you running your hoses and cables so long?? can you really turn the bars that much more? i've seen peoples heads get wrapped up in longs ones...
A lot of the parts came off of my Coiler, so I originally cut the hoses for that frame. I don't have any more barbs or compression fittings, so I haven't gotten around to cutting them. They're fine as is. Never snagged them or had a problem. I want to route the front brake through the steerer.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I ride a MOB with a 80mm and it, well is one of the best bikes ive ever ridden. manuals for ever and is a great DJing bike. I was given a EVIL DOC to demo and the first thing I noticed was the BB height. The Mob rides more like a BMX bike, the evil doc rides more like a mountain bike. Oh ya I ride a small MOB and the EVIL is a small but has almost a 2inch longer top tube!

·
Registered
33 Posts
BikeSATORI said:
Garson413 - what would be your ideal bb height for a 24" bike? just want to hear your opinion on this one....
Well, it depends on a few factors. First of all, I run a 50mm Sherman Jumper, which lowers my BB a lot, and secondly, I run really small tires (1.85 in the rear, 2.125 in the front) so keep that in mind. To keep my bars low, I run a flipped SIC LL stem and 1.5" rise bars with no spacers under the stem. With that setup, my Nemesis Project 24" Secret Agent has an 11.4" BB height, which feels really good. It gives a nice mix of poppiness, good cornering, BB clearance and low bar feel. So anywhere around the 11.5"-ish range would be my preferred BB height with that setup. With a more "normal" setup, just under 12" will give you a similar feel. For me, BB height depends on a lot of factors, like how much rise your stem has, how tall your bars are, fork length, tire size, etc. and their effect on the cockpit feel.

Other things to note: I do a lot of smith grinds on my dropout, and I've noticed that it's easier to balance smiths if your BB is a little lower, but it's easier to get into and out of them with a slightly higher BB. With any bike setup, it's a tradeoff, but with my riding style, my bike setup, the tricks I do and my preferred cockpit feel, 11.4" is just right.

·
mtbr remember
4,356 Posts
Garson413 said:
Well, it depends on a few factors. First of all, I run a 50mm Sherman Jumper, which lowers my BB a lot, and secondly, I run really small tires (1.85 in the rear, 2.125 in the front) so keep that in mind. To keep my bars low, I run a flipped SIC LL stem and 1.5" rise bars with no spacers under the stem. With that setup, my Nemesis Project 24" Secret Agent has an 11.4" BB height, which feels really good. It gives a nice mix of poppiness, good cornering, BB clearance and low bar feel. So anywhere around the 11.5"-ish range would be my preferred BB height with that setup. With a more "normal" setup, just under 12" will give you a similar feel. For me, BB height depends on a lot of factors, like how much rise your stem has, how tall your bars are, fork length, tire size, etc. and their effect on the cockpit feel.

Other things to note: I do a lot of smith grinds on my dropout, and I've noticed that it's easier to balance smiths if your BB is a little lower, but it's easier to get into and out of them with a slightly higher BB. With any bike setup, it's a tradeoff, but with my riding style, my bike setup, the tricks I do and my preferred cockpit feel, 11.4" is just right.
thanks for the info. wow, a 50mm jumper.... (at this point, I'm just wondering, wouldn't it work out better to just put an old Softride or Girvin elastomer stem on with a rigid fork?? haha, just a suggestion) well, then what is your bar height I'm wondering?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.