Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am here at work, drifting off, thinking of my impending ride this weekend. Also looking at mtb products at several online retailers that I am drooling over... And the thought occurred to me.

When I first began riding I did not really care about what type of bike or components I had as much (as long as there were minor or no mechanical probs on the trail). However, as time passed I joined this forum and began to accumulate more knowledge about parts, frames, linkages etc... **The addition in its early stages

It really seemed that the less I knew, the more I enjoyed riding. (Not to say I do enjoy it now - b/c I DO!) As time passes, 5 bikes later, 1 complete frame build up, and massive consumption of MTB information - I find that I cannot stop the LUST for more quality parts, bikes, etc..... **Rehab Needed??..

I have two quality bikes with good builds and I cannot stop WANTING! I focus more on wanting, than riding most times. What a Money Pit! I love it tho!

Was ignorance BLISS? What is your evolutionary MTB story?

·
less is more
823 Posts
High-End Sports Car/Bike Addict

The drive to drive/ride the extremely fast & exquisitely beautiful machine is at the base of my existence. My passion w/ bikes parallels my passion w/ sports cars. It started w/ a Trek 7000 & a Mazda RX-7. I modify everything extensively like a religion. Custom body work & engine building, supercharging, Recaro/Momo interiors. Carbon fiber, XTR, & Selle Italia. While I have my ultimate car in the Ferrari 328GTS & a new Scott Scale 20. Now I need a Colnago Ferrari bike to rack on my Ferrari.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
It started in 1986 with a Schwinn Sierra (mountain Exage and Biopace) the only bike I had and could barely afford.( still have and ride). I never thought of having more than one or what the upgrades were. Then I went to work and did not ride for 10 years. Got back into it 3 years ago and have purchased a new bike every year. (trek 6700, monocog, &gf rig) My wife is starting to take notice of the trend and is worried....now I am thinking FSR for next year.
I do keep wanting more...it has to stop somewhere!! Or does it?

Ok maybe it was 15 years!

Tim

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
I started riding a two wheeled bike 35 years ago and started tinkering on them at nearly the same time as my father was a firm believer in teaching us how to do things rather than do them for us.

Tonight I'll be in the shop working on a new project and if all goes well I'll be test riding the new cross bike later this evening to see how it handles the snow and ice.

:D

Tomorrow I'll spend the day volunteering at a community shop where we build bikes for underpriviledged kids.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
I'm not quite so addicted yet.

The joys of being an engineer though...I'l take in every scrap of info I can and don't care nearly as much for how things look as long as they work. Don't get me wrong...I do like good looking stuff (and add some bling if it will also save some weight or work better). I am up to a couple bikes (and a plan for the next one), but I'm happy with the bike I have because I can always work to squeeze the best performance out of what I have until I have a good reason to go for something else.

I like efficiency and strive for it....whether it is in the bike I have, or the plan for the one that will allow me to get to the next level. I still want the new gear (what mtb'er doesn't?), but I am satisfied in the quest for perfection in what I have...my recent bout of upgrade-itis and tuning-ism can attest to that fact.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
Well... the new cross bike just went on it's first ride (in the snow) and I had a blast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.