Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is a sort of carry over from a pm conversation going on. How did you come up with your Member Name and what is the significance or meaning. Yeah some are pretty apparent, but I just always was curious on peoples thought processes.

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I'll even reply first...

Why? Well I recently made an I.P.(intellectual property) sale of my blog, email, and forum member name rights and priviliges to a bike company who wanted to use it for business purposes, and I couldn't say "NO." to the amount they offered. When I went to change the name, a friend had been hinting that the name he thought of applied more to me, and willingly relinquished his. (There was this show that in the 90's had a character named "Ovi", a shortened version of my last name, I am a longtime pro-wrench, people kept saying "Go see Obi, he'll fix it!!", it fitted and people respond to it well, so there you go. I'm trying to just embrace it and go along with it, as we all know, we could be called worse things, right??

It's the classic question of "What's in a Name?", so what's in your name?

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
"Fixin' to " is a Texas colloquialism that means, "getting ready to." I ride fixed gear bikes, so when I'm about to leave, I'm fixin' to go. Somehow it's not as clever now as it was the night I came up with it after a few IPAs!

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool nonetheless...

Cool nonetheless, thanks for the reply's!!

Now that I feel that this isn't a totally ignored and useless thread, hopefully some others will join in on the conversation!

·
Registered
9 Posts
obi.one.speed.only said:
OK, this is a sort of carry over from a pm conversation going on. How did you come up with your Member Name and what is the significance or meaning. Yeah some are pretty apparent, but I just always was curious on peoples thought processes.
I sometimes ride a Seven, I'm kinda fat. Hmmmmm...................

·
(was) Big in Japan
1,008 Posts
I like to ride SS bikes. That, and a long time ago there was a sitcom called The Single Guy, I was young and impressionable, and I kinda liked the show. The memory has stuck with me, so I decided to use it. No reference to my marital status at all.

Cool idea for a thread - I often wonder about a lot of the screen names here too.

·
Dr Gadget is IN
2,393 Posts
nicknames

On here, its all nicknames. I am Wade, but my hackysackin' buddies hung Wadester on me. I posted a readable garble once and got called Wasteder, and liked it. And I get called Dr Gadget if I get too far onto a roll talkin' tech during a trailside tea party.

I have used ShadetreeWB, but I have to keep explaining what a shade tree mechanic is, so that one is too much work.

Handles are like picking names for critters: make sure you'd be willing to stand in public and shout it out loud!

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote]Cool idea for a thread...

Yeah, I try to come up with something fun and relevant every so often. I definitely identify with the shade tree idea, but after wrenching for so many years, obi-one's stuck with me, so rather than fight it I agreed to use it. Kinda helps when people can't remember my given name, and most local shops know me by this handle anyways, so why bother changing it, right?

Keep it up, more posts please!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think mine came out of the now defunct easter berries rides a few years back. I mentioned that I needed a screen name and LakeRaven layed this one on me. It has stuck. After a few beers at gnome-fest there are all kinds of interesting variations on this name.

·
singlespeed smash brother
318 Posts
Shwinboy is kinda complicated. I've never owned a schwinn. It comes from a cartoon character I designed based on my little brother who was always going on about how much he wanted a schwinn (He's never owned one either). I started calling him shwinboy. I ended up adopting the monica myself when I was couriering. Some how I think it's like by being a Shwinboy it takes it back to loving your first bike which for many was a schwinn. Being intouch with the feeling of freedom and elation as a kid with your first bike and knowing that that was the moment that sealed your fate as a bike loving soul. Shwinboy = one who found bike love in childhood and relives the moment every day. I use shwin instead of schwinn because I really didn't want it associated to directly with a bike brand and for me its meaning is about the less tangable conotation and not the actual bike.

·
Registered
885 Posts
1970's....

Skateboarder magazine Comic character. Mellow Cat was always doing something cool, whether trying to ride his skateboard on a mobius loop, or calling up the gods of Mabuhu to make his Shewin cruiser go faster.

Take a read here: http://www.tedrichards.net/comics_mc_01.asp

I picked this name for 2 reasons...one, my local riding buddies would call me AlphaDog since I always wanted to ride at the front, so being the complete pain in the neck that I am, I had to pick the total opposite of AlphaDog, which of course is a MellowCat. My other reason was a fondness for this time of my life. Skateboarding was something I was good at as a kid, and I always loved reading Skateboarder Magazine and Mellow Cat's cartoon strip.

MC

obi.one.speed.only said:

·
all about the all about
292 Posts
Early 80's BMX 26" cruiser

Named for The "Old Man" of BMX Scot Breithaupt-known for his innovations and pure crazyness...one of the founding fathers/organizers of the sport.

I always wanted one as a kid, and just finished this resto in the fall.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
Bob the Builder is a kid's TV show. My name is Bob. I like to build wheels.

A friend came up with the combination. He has little kids.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.