Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Fuel 80 with a cracked frame just above the BB. Does Trek toss the old frame and issue a new one? I had the rear traiangle replaced with a CF one in June (after Aluminum failed), but what about the main frame? Would they repair such a thing? The reason I'm asking is I just got my bike back after about 2 weeks of waiting, and I just have this feeling it's mine. Even the bottom boss to hold the water bottle cage is screwed up like my frame before, the screw does not go all the way in.

Anyone with any experience with this?

Also all I have for stickers is large TREK letters and one on the bottom that says "Trek warranty repair", no Fuel, no 80, and no SLR (or whatever it said before). It also has a new seial number too.


Don't get me wrong, I'm very pleased to have a fixed bike...thanks to the great warranty.
 

·
Hup, Hup
Joined
·
536 Posts
It should be a new frame, especially considering where the break was and that it has a new serial number. They would use your old frame for research and/or future reference for improving the design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,882 Posts
Photo time.

Cough up teh photos on this one.

If there was a crack around the BB area, and tehy warrantied it, it should be a new frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damion said:
Cough up teh photos on this one.

If there was a crack around the BB area, and tehy warrantied it, it should be a new frame.
unfortunately I dropped the bike at the shop before I could get pictures. But it was a perfect horizontal slice just above the weld.

Probably new, just seems weird about the bottle cage screw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,615 Posts
They may want the frame

Nowadays Trek doesn't even want the frame back. They want the shop to take a digi photo of the failure and email the pic. Since it was just warrentied theymay want to see the frame in light of someone F-ing up at Trek releasing a failed frame.
Or the shop did take the pic of the first failure and Trek never saw the whole bike.
 

·
adult onset ADHD
Joined
·
149 Posts
What's the info on the frame

I heard of the stories of the frame breakage, I have been somewhat concerned about mine. 2002 Fuel 80 17.5" I'm 5' 11" and 180. Is it the Large and X-Large frames break? Or is it from hucking down 2 foot + rocky drops? I've been using the 410mm seat post to keep the front strong.
Hmmm. the CF swingarm sounds interesting.
 

·
occupation : Foole
Joined
·
2,548 Posts
Nor'Easter said:
I heard of the stories of the frame breakage, I have been somewhat concerned about mine. 2002 Fuel 80 17.5" I'm 5' 11" and 180. Is it the Large and X-Large frames break? Or is it from hucking down 2 foot + rocky drops? I've been using the 410mm seat post to keep the front strong.
Hmmm. the CF swingarm sounds interesting.
Hey nor'easter....dunno if it's ever been pinpointed s to the actual cause, but...(and I've been concerned about this having an '01 Fuel 90)...I had e-mailed Trek years ago about this, and the customer service reply (at the time) hinted that the problem could be people running their seatposts "too high" (however high "too high" might be..... I think you need a good 3 " or more of inserted post - enough to go a bit below the bottom of the headtube/seattube weld - sounds like you're on the right track, there ) ...dunno, for sure..... I think your best bet is to keep the wheels close to the ground (and if worst comes to worst, it breaks and ya get a new frame :cool: )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nor'Easter said:
I heard of the stories of the frame breakage, I have been somewhat concerned about mine. 2002 Fuel 80 17.5" I'm 5' 11" and 180. Is it the Large and X-Large frames break? Or is it from hucking down 2 foot + rocky drops? I've been using the 410mm seat post to keep the front strong.
Hmmm. the CF swingarm sounds interesting.
I have the large (19.5") frame. the shop keeps telling me to remember it's a XC bike, not a free-ride bike. trust me the wheels never get more than a few inches off the ground, once i tried to show off a bunny hop on flat smooth ground and ended up on my a$$. Actually, my weight is more than likely the problem.

The CF swing arm looks cool, but at 220# I'm not overly concerned about weight, and I'm not to sure what it ads performance wise. Was told they had no more aluminum swingarms in stock, so they gave me CF.

was thinking of getting a new bike, but as long as I keep the componentry in check maybe I'll get a new free frame every year or so.
 

·
adult onset ADHD
Joined
·
149 Posts
Weight?

CheapTrek said:
IActually, my weight is more than likely the problem.
Want to know a secret? I was 212 lb 1 year ago. Butt my low was 178 on 9/15 I have added 8 since then 'cause of the weather, I dropped a lot and so can you!
Try this. Naturade soy and whey meal replacements keep it high protein, Green Tea diet supplements. Twinlab Chromium Pinacolate, and low carb. Try to lay off the sugars. Never eat potatos or white bread.
and 45-60 roadish miles per week on the Fuel. Mine rides were mostly at night when the weather was warmer. After the first 5 miles I get to hilly farm country where there were no cars. This also got me in great shape for the weekend trail rides.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nor'Easter said:
Want to know a secret? I was 212 lb 1 year ago. Butt my low was 178 on 9/15 I have added 8 since then 'cause of the weather, I dropped a lot and so can you!
Try this. Naturade soy and whey meal replacements keep it high protein, Green Tea diet supplements. Twinlab Chromium Pinacolate, and low carb. Try to lay off the sugars. Never eat potatos or white bread.
and 45-60 roadish miles per week on the Fuel. Mine rides were mostly at night when the weather was warmer. After the first 5 miles I get to hilly farm country where there were no cars. This also got me in great shape for the weekend trail rides.
good to know, thanks!! but i have a serious chocolate chip cookie fetish, that's my biggest problem.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top