Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does the number after the tubing manufacturer's name mean? What is the 531 or 853 in reynolds 531 and 853 tubing. Or how about 7005 aluminum. What is 7005? I understand that it is probably the compound or amount of imperfections, but im curious to know specifacally what the number refers to.
Thanks

-dM

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
laxguy86 said:
What does the number after the tubing manufacturer's name mean? What is the 531 or 853 in reynolds 531 and 853 tubing. Or how about 7005 aluminum. What is 7005? I understand that it is probably the compound or amount of imperfections, but im curious to know specifacally what the number refers to.
Thanks

-dM
http://www.reynoldsusa.com/english.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
RE: aluminum alloys

laxguy86 said:
Or how about 7005 aluminum. What is 7005? I understand that it is probably the compound or amount of imperfections, but im curious to know specifacally what the number refers to.
Thanks

-dM
7005 refers to a specific aluminum alloy. The #### format denotes a wrought alloy while ###.# would refer to a cast alloy. The first number refers to the family or series of alloy. In this case a 7-series alluminum alloy has Zinc as its major alloying element. The 005 is the number assigned the specific alloy. It consists of 4.5% Zinc 1.4% Magnesium 0.45% Manganese 0.13% Chromium .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts