Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT : no budget! just dont want 29' or carbon frame XD (upto 5k if needed)

Bonjour everyone,

Its the first time i'm buying a 'real' Mountain Bike and i need your advice.
I dont know much (brands, quality...etc) but i DO know what i want :

5. A tough bike that can withstand 8 foot drop on concrete and jumps
4. AT LEAST 150mm travel in the fork
3. An international brand (since i live in Paris)
2. FULL SUSPENSION bike with blockable suspension (rear and front)
1. A bike that people have tested and are willing to share experience

Merci les amis

ps: just gettin your attention with the title XD

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Bonjour everyone,

Its the first time i'm buying a 'real' Mountain Bike and i need your advice.
I dont know much (brands, quality...etc) but i DO know what i want :

5. A tough bike that can withstand 8 foot drop on concrete and jumps
4. AT LEAST 150mm travel in the fork
3. An international brand (since i live in Paris)
2. FULL SUSPENSION bike with blockable suspension (rear and front)
1. A bike that people have tested and are willing to share experience

Merci les amis

ps: just gettin your attention with the title XD
5. 8' to concrete (I'm assuming to flat) is huge. Absolutely huge. Everything about a bike which can do that will need to be no compromise from the pedals and cranks to wheels and frame. It will have the weight of a tank if you expect to do that for more than a year. Normal trail bikes are not made for this sort of usage; you will be firmly in the realm of freeride bikes. Freeride bikes, for the most part, are not very much fun on normal trails which involve pedaling.

4 and 3. This can be addressed after you express your budget.

2. Locking suspension is not an option for the vast majority of freeride bikes. The reason being is that if you were to take a big hit with the suspension locked out, even with blowoff circuits, there is too much potential for damage to the damping circuits. You'll have to put your big boy/girl pants on and just deal with the suspension. It's not bad, I really never used lockout when I had it and don't miss it now that I don't. For reference I "daily drive" a 7" travel FS bike.

1. Let's talk budget first, you have a lot of options until you put a price tag on things.

I have a feeling you're not going to like where this conversation is headed because I'm going to take a random guess at this and say you want a bike that can do 8' drops to flat on concrete then still be able to pedal to class or work like a road bike. Maybe a stock trials bike with a saddle is in your future...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
So you're gonna buy your first mountain bike and then ride it off an 8 foot drop to concrete? You do realize that 8 feet is 2.5 meters. Also 8 feet to something with a transition is a big difference than 8 ft to flat. If that's a misprint or you plan on hitting properly built bike park style 8 footers then it all makes a lot more sense and you'll have lots of options, based on budget....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.