Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about going to Gooseberry because the weather there seems nice these days, but I'm wondering if it will leave me thinking it wasn't worth the 5-hour drive.

I love the rocks and the views of the region and I like XC but ...

I live in Sedona. I've been to Moab several times (TWE, Brands, Navajo, Dead Horse, etc.), including a 6-day trip last month. I've ridden at JEM once and on the GC North Rim once. I guess my question is, Will Gooseberry offer anything I haven't already done or seen? I know, weird question. Thanks.

·
IPA tester
1,370 Posts
JEM trails are really over rated IMO but I really enjoy Gooseberry Mesa. I camp there for 2-3 days and can ride everything up there plus a trip over to Grafton Mesa. Park near the Yurts for a fantastic view. I love Sedona and was just there 2 weeks ago with a Preskitt trip coming and going. All good riding but different in their own way

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Thanks, all.

Been wanting to ride it, but I read a few comments that said it wasn't a fave, that it was basically just "XC with a view."
Go check it out for yourself. If after a short time you feel like it is XC with a view, turn around and go ride Grafton Mesa. It's got a view too. With opportunities to see the inside of the local hospital. Don't miss the road gap

·
Candlestick Maker
3,819 Posts
I have no beta on Gooseberry Mesa. Surprisingly, since I spent several weekends riding in the area over the past year. The JEM trails were fun, but quite easy. I will mention that I love chunk and Barrel Trail and Zen Trail over in St George were awesome. Definitely worth a shot if that is your kind of riding.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It's definitely much more than XC with a view, and it doesn't resemble anything you'll find in the JEM system at all. For the detractors, the main complaint is that it doesn't have a true downhill pay off, and that is valid, so set your expectations correctly and you'll likely enjoy it a lot more. It's constant ups and downs, with a lot of technical challenges pretty much the entire way. For a Moab comparison, think of Ahab, but on a flat mesa. You still have a lot of shorter ups and down, and the techy character, but with only subtle baseline gradient if that makes sense. Part of what I love about Gooseberry is how creative the builders were in routing the trail through so many interesting natural features found on the mesa. If you make the trip, check out Little Creek as well. It's similar to Goose in character, but quite a bit less techy. Still really fun as it has a bit more flowiness than Goose. For a DH romp, take the advice of other posts and hit Grafton.

·
Registered
13,268 Posts
Thanks, all.

Been wanting to ride it, but I read a few comments that said it wasn't a fave, that it was basically just "XC with a view."
Like Padlz said, there's no sustained downhill but I wouldn't call it XC. Very creative routing on rolling domes of white sandstone and cliff edges. Lots of techy ups and downs with awesome views. Plus plenty of fun off-the-dot things to try as well (drops, rollers, techy step up climbs etc). Just look around as you ride and the possibilities are endless. Really nothing else exactly like it anywhere.

It's definitely worth doing.

·
change is good
Switchblade with a 38, 29+ rigid WaltWorks
4,252 Posts
I live in Sedona. I’ve been there 4-5 times. Probably won’t go back soon. I think it’s worth a trip. Get up super early to beat the crowds and bop over to Zion. There’s nice riding on the other side of the highway. It’s a little bit of a drive. The trails in St George are ok, which is to say good, but not stellar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I live in Sedona. I’ve been there 4-5 times. Probably won’t go back soon. I think it’s worth a trip. Get up super early to beat the crowds and bop over to Zion. There’s nice riding on the other side of the highway. It’s a little bit of a drive. The trails in St George are ok, which is to say good, but not stellar.
I agree on all of this although, based on the photos of crowds I saw from earlier this year, I'm not sure I would even bother with Zion. Altough maybe it's not so bad now that schools are back in session.

I rode Wholy Guacamole last spring and it was really fun. The OP might want to check that out if they haven't already.

·
Candlestick Maker
3,819 Posts
I agree on all of this although, based on the photos of crowds I saw from earlier this year, I'm not sure I would even bother with Zion. Altough maybe it's not so bad now that schools are back in session.
I went to Zion 3 times this year and had no problems with crowds by going late in the afternoons. Angel's Landing was an awesome hike...

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s a once or twice a year for me to ride all the above accept grafton. I’m heading out Monday the 25th for a week so if you see a tan Sportsmobile say hi. I also love Sedona but I only get to go when the place is not occupied or we block it out.

Kelly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I live in Prescott, ride Sedona once a week when the weather isn't scorching and have been going to the Gooseberry Mesa area twice a year since 2011 when I was living in SoCal (same 6 hour drive as it is from Prescott). I went back in May and we're headed back over Veterans Day. Gooseberry Mesa itself is like NOTHING else I've ridden anywhere (other than parts of Guacamole and Little Creek in the same vicinity) with it's sustained rock riding...up, down, around and all over and repeat. It's definitely NOT what I would consider XC. JEM and the Hurricane Rim loop are the XC rides in Hurricane/Virgin. There is definitely plenty of XC in the St George area.

I can't tell for sure what you hope to find but if you want more tech....Grafton Mesa, Nephi's Twist (99% of visitors don't know about it or ride it) and then Flying Monkey (people know about it but once again, 99% don't ride it....it's a full face, full gear, type of ride with a few sections that make Portal look tame). Also, if you're out there on a Saturday and can hook up on a shop ride with Over the Edge going to Little Creek or Guacamole, the owner (Quentin) knows those areas like the back of his hand and has plenty of sketchy lines/drops/etc... that they session.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.