Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always hear how fit is the most important aspect of buying a bike, but I have a hard time determining what that really encompasses. Sometimes I feel totally connected and tune with my bike and other times it feels off and out of control. With so many variable, like stem height and degree, seat post height, the variables of the seat alone, how does one, especially one new to the sport determine what is the right fit. For instance, my handlebars feel too wide, I only assume this because I rest my hands on the grip shift. Does this mean I need narrower bars, is the angle off, could the seat be off, is the bike too big? Or maybe I just need to just widen where I place my hands and get used to it? I used to ride with the seat too low, at first when I raised the seat post height, I felt totally uncomfortable and unstable, only after a few minutes into the ride did I see the advantages.

·
T.W.O.
8,168 Posts
That's going to required some reading. http://www.mountain-bike-world.com/mountain-bike-fitting.html

Bike fit can change from time to time as your style of riding change, for example you may want longer stretch out position of longer stem and shorter bar at one point then as you get more aggressive you may prefer shorter stem higher rise and wider bar.

Get an adjustable seatpost it's the best of both world drop the height on the descend, fully extended on the climb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts