Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I asked that guy on the disco what his bottom dollar was, and he said $1000, so that's how I could get the disco, the Santa Cruz Super 8 was offered to me, and the ONLY way I would get a hardtail, is if it was extremely light, so that rules that out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Wow bro....you want to drop this much cash on a bike, do a bit of research. Youve gone through more bikes than I have ever thought of buying in 3 years. Heres an idea, reseach the MSRP of the bikes, if they are selling for way under less than half, its prolly bs. Your best bet is to buy a NEW hardtail. Also, whats your need with all this travel? Im sorry, but I must say.....you are an idiot my good sir..................you are an idiot.....

O yeah, and SEARCH....the super8 has been covered MANY times! God your worse than yeswayjay.

·
Registered
181 Posts
DJrider04 said:
Wow bro....you want to drop this much cash on a bike, do a bit of research. Youve gone through more bikes than I have ever thought of buying in 3 years. Heres an idea, reseach the MSRP of the bikes, if they are selling for way under less than half, its prolly bs. Your best bet is to buy a NEW hardtail. Also, whats your need with all this travel? Im sorry, but I must say.....you are an idiot my good sir..................you are an idiot.....

O yeah, and SEARCH....the super8 has been covered MANY times! God your worse than yeswayjay.
hey hey hey now lets not go that far atleast this guy isnt putting up lame pics and saying he is better then everyone here

·
Registered
524 Posts
No, but he keeps asking questions that have been covered many times. Its like everytime he finds an ad, he posts about it. He needs to do some research first.....Im sorry, its just this guy keeps jumping from bike to bike. All he needs to get is a good solid hardtail, after all.....it says he likes urban hucks. Dont need no 8+inch travel/DH race bike for that.

·
n00b eternal
633 Posts
oreo321321 said:
I asked that guy on the disco what his bottom dollar was, and he said $1000, so that's how I could get the disco, the Santa Cruz Super 8 was offered to me, and the ONLY way I would get a hardtail, is if it was extremely light, so that rules that out.
oreo, I really am just trying to help you out (I think everyone is). Be in for the long run! While it does spawn interesting discussions, I for one, am a little tired of seeing your bike question posts everyday, mainly because it seems like you are missing what others have been telling you. I feel your pain and a hardtail, in many ways, is not the same as a fs bike. You are right. But you are 15 and you have a lifetime of freeriding to do! I know I am preaching to the choir, but these bikes are probably toast and I bet if your parents understood how hard these bikes are ridden, they wouldn't want you buying one (damn I sound like my old man...).

Just buy a hard tail and get one of those hardtail pride t-shirts from pink bike.

·
Registered
320 Posts
oreo321321 said:
Here it is, $1000 US.
Thats NOT an 2002 Disco, its a 2001. It has the older links with the shorter shock. $1000 is not a bad deal, throw an Avalanche on there and the problems with shocks blowing go away.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats NOT an 2002 Disco, its a 2001. It has the older links with the shorter shock. $1000 is not a bad deal, throw an Avalanche on there and the problems with shocks blowing go away.
great suggesting...get a deal on a frame just to spend almost the same price for a shock just so you don't blow shocks! :rolleyes:

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Now this is a topic I havent heard disscussed, and I searched through about 15 pages of threads, and spent a half an hour on it. Would and intense M1 be a nice bike to freeride, and do urban hucks?

·
Registered
757 Posts
oreo321321 said:
Now this is a topic I havent heard disscussed, and I searched through about 15 pages of threads, and spent a half an hour on it. Would and intense M1 be a nice bike to freeride, and do urban hucks?

An intense M1 is a race bike dude.

1. You can't afford them

2. They're racers, not huckers

3. You wouldn't be able to benefit from the use of an M1... plus... being new to the game.. have fun understanding how to work & maintain one.

Just get a good hardtail. An Evil Imperial or a Planet X Jackflash.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Funny.....I remember the Intense m1 being dicussed as a huck bike about a month ago. Bighit, you nailed it......just get a hardtail dude, or learn something about the bikes your going to buy first.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Brian HCM#1 said:
I think I hear your mom calling you now.
PinkBike just called me. They said they wanted oreo back as they missed him on the forums.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, this is a less than enlightening discussion. I suppose you guys telling him not to buy used just throw your old frames in the dumpster?

Oreo, here is the deal, you are looking to buy a 1000.00 bike for freeriding (e.g. street, skatepark and trails) and apparently have mentioned several different bikes. Like everyone else, I would recomend a good hardtail. There are good reasons for this. first of all, a good hardtail and a good rider will do anything that a FS bike will do, but maybe a little slower. You won't catch me in the skatepark on my DH race bike. Not because its a race bike, but because the hardtail is much better suited to the park. Granted I wouldn't try to rip the DH race courses on my hardtail, but I could ride them. Also, the biggest drop I have ever done was on a cheap steel Kona I set up with a 4" travel fork, a cheap chainguide, a short stem and some riser bars. That bike is still in my basement looking for some hand-me-down parts. I just can't seem to part with it. Second, you can get much better componentry on the hardtail. If you decide to get a full suspension frame after a year or two, then you can swap the parts over and have a much better ride. Finally, maintenace and expense of maintenance on full suspenion bikes is much greater.

I personally would stay away from the Super 8 as it is discontinued. Also, the rear swingarm is known to crack at the welds. The replacement swingarm will run you 250.00. I rode a freinds with small cracks in the swingarm, and the bike just becomes very loose (whippy) in the rear. I have never been so scared on a bike in my life.

The M1 is a race bike as mentioned above. They are only intended for 2-3 years of use (or so I have heard). Karpiel...don't know much about them.

My current HT is a marin EX-c. It is pretty light and has held up very well through two mountaincross seasons, dirtjumping disasters, and skatepark riding. The bike could be made a little quicker if I would spend the money for a lighter set of rims, but the mammoths are tough and I don't seem to lose enough speed to warrant the expenditure (although next year will be different).

You might also check into the Astrix Union (www.astrixsports.com). The Evil is another great frame. The Cannondale Chase and the Giant STP 1 are also very good options. I would check the Giant and Canondale first (mostly Giant). It was designed by Jeff Lenosky. If you have seen him ride, you know the bike will perform. (STP, by the way, is Street, Trail, & Park...your intended useage of the bike as I have been lead to understand). The Chase...well if Arron (Aaron, Aarron) Chase is in a video, I think it is definately worth buying. That guy can do things on a bike that just boggle my mind. I mean a handplant on a spine is just insane!

So although I echoed many of the points of the other posters, I hope that it provides you an explanation of why you should choose a good hardtail.

·
M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
3,584 Posts
shouldn't you be at the dealership instead of being here "trying" to act smart?

this has nothing to do with the thread in question...stick to the topic!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Acadian said:
shouldn't you be at the dealership instead of being here "trying" to act smart?

this has nothing to do with the thread in question...stick to the topic!!
Nope, got things worked out, I flexed my muscles :mad:

·
Banned
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
lol, I know im a pain in the butt.

The ONLY way I would EVER get a hardtail is that it would have to be extremely light, im talking like 20- 25 pounds. Seriuosly, everyone lay off the hardtaiIs, I have ridden hardtails before, I dont like them.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts