Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tore down my newest ( oldest) bike and need to soak and clean the bearing and other hub parts. It looks like the grease could be the original 70 year old stuff, super baked on and hard. Looking for suggestions what to use to break that crud down.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Engine degreaser from AutoZone. Works like a charm on that sort of thing.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Brake clean for anything non-painted/anodized/polished. EG: loose ball bearings and races.

For finished components or anything with plastic or rubber, I use electrical contact cleaner.

·
Registered
668 Posts
soak overnight in automatic transmission fluid. no worries of chemicals harming anything, including your skin/lungs.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
I left a chain in engine degreaser from my local auto store, and, it rusted. I forgot about it for, I believe, 4d. I then realized most degreasers, including all varieties sold at my local Napa and Oreilly auto, are water based!

·
Registered
14,850 Posts
Citrus solvent, straight up. Non-water based, smells nice, won't kill you as fast, works better than the hardcore stuff IME.

·
RAKC
7,599 Posts
I use pb blaster to break the grease down then brake clean to clean up. No need to soak anything, just spray and wipe. Just don't spray pb on rubber or plastic. I always make it a point to remove what I need to clean from the bike and any bits (rubber seals etc) so nothing gets damaged.

Sent from my Nokia Stupidphone using Tapatalk

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Citrus solvent, straight up. Non-water based, smells nice, won't kill you as fast, works better than the hardcore stuff IME.
yup, any decent citrus degreaser is going to be the best working for your dollar. Simple green is decent too. I get gallons of orange degreaser from home improvement store for right around 10 buck.. mix it with a bit of 90% rubbing alcohol for quicker evaporation and it leaves less behind also.

P.S. they are water based though

·
2,618 Posts
Citrus degreaser in the gallon jugs from Home Depot. I soak parts in this stuff and then cut it with water in a spray bottle for general bike cleaning.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I like Simple Green if I can soak them I think the best for cutting grease is 50/50 solution water but just remember if you leave steel in too long it can rust.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Looks like I'm the only one using denatured alcohol as all-around degreaser. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts