Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Team Blindspot
2,989 Posts
i_suck said:
^^^?
i use the tablets but they are kinda pricy
I only put water in it. I empty and hang to dry with the camelbak hanger after each ride. If I forget to empty it, which has happened a couple of time. I put one tablespoon of bleach in there and fill with water, let sit overnight. Rinse in AM. Good to go.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
I use hot water with about a cap full of bleach. I let it soak for a bit, then rinse. I then fill it back up with water and baking soda and soak. Then its ready to go. Stick the bladder in the freezer when your done riding to prevent stuff growing.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Generic denture tablets are a cheaper alternative to the "official" cleaning tablets.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Geist262 said:
I use hot water with about a cap full of bleach. I let it soak for a bit, then rinse. I then fill it back up with water and baking soda and soak. Then its ready to go. Stick the bladder in the freezer when your done riding to prevent stuff growing.
Amen! That's my exact regime to a "t".

Good advice.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
I have been riding local short rides (plenty of them but not far enough for a Camelbak) so unfortunately I forgot about my bladder after the last long ride (about 2 months ago!) and it had all sorts growing in it.

I washed it out, used the Camelbak cleaning brushes to get in the tube and into the hard to reach places. I out bleach in it, left it, and went back to it the next day to repeat the whole thing again.

I think I got it clean enough, there's a bit of staining, but everything seems to tast ok!

I'm definitely taking your advice and putting the bladder in the freezer from now on!

·
Pocket Pool Savant
634 Posts
Coke and Sprite...

Just J said:
I have been riding local short rides (plenty of them but not far enough for a Camelbak) so unfortunately I forgot about my bladder after the last long ride (about 2 months ago!) and it had all sorts growing in it.

I washed it out, used the Camelbak cleaning brushes to get in the tube and into the hard to reach places. I out bleach in it, left it, and went back to it the next day to repeat the whole thing again.

I think I got it clean enough, there's a bit of staining, but everything seems to tast ok!

I'm definitely taking your advice and putting the bladder in the freezer from now on!
If your camelbak gets left in the car for awhile and gets kinda chunky, empty a can of coke (has to be from the can) into it and let it sit for about an hour. When the chunks are dislodged, empty it out and put a can of sprite in it. Let this sit for about an hour (also, don't forget to let the coke and sprite into the tube and bite-valve).

Then, rinse.

For regular cleaning, I use some stuff from blackburn. Put 2 drops in with 1liter of hot water and let it sit for about 10 min., then rinse and good as new. I paid 8 bux for the bottle about a year ago and it's still almost full.

AJ

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
I usually store mine in the fridge when not in use.

To clean it, I use warm/hot water along with the typical generic denture tabs also. Much cheaper than the same tablets that come in the Camelback logo packet!

:thumbsup:

·
Arrrgggghhh!!
281 Posts
I have done bleach and denture tabs. I wasn't really impressed with either as they leave a residual Taste. I good idea I heard that I will try next time is to use Listerine.

·
Guinness is GOOD for you
63 Posts
no rinse sanitizer

i got a huge bag of a one step, no rinse cleaner to clean my homebrew equipment about 3 years ago. i tried this stuff in my camelback (half a spoonfull for 3 liters) a few weeks ago and could not believe how much better the water tasted. i did not even realize how funky it had gotten. i got this stuff at a homebrew shop for like 10 bucks. its big enough to last pretty much forever. it says you don't even have to rinse it but i always do.

·
Freeriding Feline
2,548 Posts
A little vanilla extract in water to rinse it out after cleaning will help with the taste.
It's the 'ol bleach/denture tablet combo clean for me. The freezer thing is new though...I'll try it.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
You clean it?

Aside from using a brush to clean the tube, I don't do anything at all. I do just use water though. Hasn't killed me yet. I've seen some recent studies that claim one of the reasons people seem to get sicker these days is because they are too clean and not exposed to germs.

Ah, I will live forever.

·
gimme friction
1,133 Posts
I've had the same bladder for ~2 years, riding at least once a week, and have never cleaned it.

I only put water in my Camelbak...well, that and BEER, but beer is mostly water. And as long as you use a Pilsner or light ale, you don't even have to clean it out.

·
pain don't hurt
162 Posts
BBOC said:
I have done bleach and denture tabs. I wasn't really impressed with either as they leave a residual Taste. I good idea I heard that I will try next time is to use Listerine.
I've used Listerine. It kills stuff. Plus it leaves a minty taste, which is better than rubber.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.