Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dudette
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone prefer for tick repellent? I've used DEET in the past, but don't really prefer it. Does anyone use any of those more natural formulas? If so, what do you like to use? I think Spring is finally on its way in the NE, so time to start thinking about it again. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

·
Magically Delicious
12,518 Posts
When hiking in areas known for ticks, we used powdered sulfur dusted around our socks, boots and pants legs. Worked great, but I'm not sure what to suggest for biking because you're more subject to get them in areas less favorable of using sulfur. i.e. waistbands, shirt/jersey etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
My grandfather, who is a big hunter/fisher always swears by Avon Skin-so-Soft series. Plus side is it has a bit less chemical scent/feel.

·
Magically Delicious
12,518 Posts
My grandfather, who is a big hunter/fisher always swears by Avon Skin-so-Soft series.
We have used Avon Skin-so-Soft for mosquitoes, but did know that it could be used for ticks.. Interesting because it definitely smells better than sulfur or any other stuff. It's still a bit too flowery for me though.

·
Premium Member
7,759 Posts
For annoying bugs I like Off Botanicals, it feels and smells like hand cream. For ticks I will use some pump-spray deet on the socks and shoes. If I lived somewhere with a lot of them I might try tick gaiters like these Outdoor Research BugOut Gaiters: Gaiters | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean Our field people a little further south use them. I've found if you stay on the trail it is not too bad, even on Cape Cod, but bring a dog and they can pick up dozens.

·
Dudette
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using some citrus-smelling stuff I picked up at one of the chain outdoor stores in the area - very pungent but I didn't seem to have an issue with ticks last year. However, I also take off all biking clothes as soon as I am home and shower and scrub immediately afterwards - and check thoroughly. I like the above suggestions and heard of Skin So Soft for mosquitoes, but not for ticks. I'll have to give that a try. I made the mistake of getting DEET on one of my bike helmets - it was only a few spots but where it hit the styrofoam on the helmet, it melted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.