Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about possibly using 5 hour energy before I ride, is it recommended? What does everyone else use?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i just got the GNC AMP amplified muscle igniter 4x. its 3 pills you take that give you a ton of energy. it comes in four waves. the only prob i have had with it so far is sometimes it last longer than i want it to. but if you want a good long biking, it gives tons of energy.

you can goto GNC, they have a ton of energy supplements that are better than 5 hour energy. some help with muscle fatigue and help give your muscles more oxygen, which leads to longer biking.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,313 Posts
All you need to do is hydrate well (water) before a ride, eat well so your body is full of good safe energy (what the hell is in these pills & energy drinks anyways??). If you eat healthy & start riding, your body will get used to riding for longer times.

During rides, most guys like water, some type of drink mix (gatoraid, heed, etc), maybe a gell shot or two, & longer rides, some bars like a powerbar or cliff bar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with Shark. I eat a meal with protein and little carbs before I ride. Even though I have a 100ltr camelbak, I drink a ton of water before I even ride. I'm usually good for a 2 to 3 hour ride. I don't like drinking those energy drinks before a ride. Way too much sugar! I also throw a few little snacks like almonds, sunflower seeds or a protein bar in my pack, just in case.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It won't hurt to try it. There is no sugar in it and only 4 calories. I find it makes me feel hot, but very alert.

I've tried some preworkout drinks before I lift weights or ride my exercise bike. One I like is called Fast Twitch by Cytosports. I like it because it takes the fatigued feeling I get from standing at work all day, out of my legs. You might save something like that if you find 5 hour energy doesn't give you the kick you need.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Meth.

Someone had to say it.

But really I try to eat right and I hydrate as much as I can before I ride. I'll usually drink about 20-25oz of water on my drive to the local trailhead (15min)

·
FeeRideRules
217 Posts
M8 just eat plenty of vegies, drink plenty of water, get plenty of sleep & if you eat meat, eat only a palm sized serve of something very lean, don't eat pig as it's full of fat & the insulin in your body won't break it down into energy but rather just sits in your system & makes your body lethargic

·
Registered
69 Posts
I used to take naNOx9 before I worked out. It's just a nitric oxide product, causes your blood vessels to expand, delivering more oxygen/protein/energy/etc to your muscles. I also recommend eating a healthy serving of protein immediately after you are finished riding. It will help rebuild all the muscles you just used riding.
Caffeine has been proven to be a healthy stimulant (assuming you arent overloading on it). There's nothing wrong with chugging a red bull before you go ride, don't assume that because it's a lot of sugar that it's going to be poor for your body. You are consuming a lot of sugar, sure, but you are also about to participate in a very demanding activity, and your body is sure as hell going to use every bit of energy you throw at it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Qatarbhoy said:
>a 100ltr camelbak.

Whoa. That's about the same amount a real camel's back carries.
LMAO... haha.

As most have said, eat/hydrate [at least an hour for me] before going out to ride. On the trail I always carry my camelbak... and if I feel like it I'll throw a gatorade in the bottle cage. As for food... I usually just carry some trail mix. Not really into power/energy gels...

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
PB&J does it for me- PB gives me the fat and instant energy and natural jelly has the natural sugars that get me going. with all that said, before any big workout/ride, i make sure i'm well hydrated hours before- try to get in good habits of eating/drinking and you really don't need to change anything major before a ride. i like zeronine's recommendation of trail mix- especially since you can make it healthy as well.

·
2,548 Posts
Yerba Mate ..... Google it if ya don't know what it is ...... my favorite beverage, hot or iced !!!

·
jalopy jockey
551 Posts
Healthy eating oin a regular basis is the key. Once you body aclimated to riding you shouldn't need anything for shortish rides unless it's meal time. For me a 2 hr ride after any meal all I need is H20 unless it's at race pace.

After some point your body's glycogen stores are pretty well depleted and you need calories not a stimulant. I usually use Hammer's Heed drink mix as first source. for me if its' a 3 hr ride or my group rifde which delays dinner for 3-4hrs. I need some calories. I'll usually eat some fruit or trail mix on my way to the ride, and some heed for the ride.

Hammer gels if I need a mid ride boost. Bars, PB&J on a flatbread, trail mix, and fruit/veggies and anything else i can get my hands on for endurance rides.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
A thick PB&J on 7 grain bread (the perfect pre-ride fuel IMO) a half hour before the ride, which usually does the trick, and a power gel of some sort if I start to feel empty during the ride.

Like what others have said - how well you ate and hydrated, during the 24 hours leading up to your ride, has the biggest impact IMO.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So if I had Burger King the Night before as a quick inexpensive meal, that could be why I sucked?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Definitly pb&j. I usually eat one before the ride and if i am going on a long ride i take one with me when i break.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts