Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just moved to a new area. When ever i tell somebody i enjoy mountain biking, alot of them tell me about these stupid paved trails along green belts. (For all you bay area readers, Im talking about Crystal Springs off skyline) Now i dont expect people to help me find trails or anything like that, but i cant help but wonder what most peoples impression of what this sport is.... Do they really think people get all excited for saturday so they can ride on pavement going 8 mph for like 30 minutes ? lol.

·
Your Best Friend
5,301 Posts
I think most people I see and talk to feel it is too expensive to get into and regardless, they are too fat or out of shape to really try (in their minds).

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Everyone's perception of what mountain biking is different, to some it is riding the rail trails, others enjoy D.H. etc. Ask 10 people and I bet you get 10 different answers. Just get them riding, they find their own level of participation.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Just remember mountain biking is not for everybody.As the old saying goes, "You can lead a horse to water,but you can't make them drink."
Like my sister once told me: "Talk to people who like what you like".
And there it is.
And here we are.
Talk to the tribe. :cool:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I understand what your saying but its kinda sad when people take absolutely no interest in at least hearing a little bit about other people's interests, especially family. Those people are the same people who expect you to listen to them go on about their interests. Of course am most definitely aware that you can choose your friends but not your family.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You could call IMBA and ask them to send you a mailing like the one I got recently.It said among other things that more people in the U.S. enjoy mountain biking thanTHE ENTIRE POPULATION of the country of Canada !!
Yeah...
I was shocked too !! :eek: :D

·
Pale Rider
251 Posts
Try explaining what a dirt bike enduro, harescramble, hare and hound, etc. is.

Everybody thinks the only way to ride a dirt bike is doing crazy flips and MX/SX.

We usually kinda get blank looks and "Oooo, racing through trees must be dangerous". "Uhhhh, not nearly as dangerous as jumping 100 feet with 25' vertical in 4th gear pinned, and trying to land THAT 100% of the time." That's usually where I leave it.

With MTB'ing I usually get "That sounds like fun" or "You must be in great shape to do that." Kind of a broad mix when I talk about night riding.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i think its ability to be able to hit that dirt and not fall off

not everyone has amazing trails around that they can test there bike out on

a lot of people like me would only few spots were there is dirt too have a bit of fun with mtb

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
Around my area I think most people have a somewhat general notion that mountain biking means trailriding. Although one person I know thought it means bike touring/camping.

However some people, perhaps many people, think mountain biking means adrenaline fueled maniacs blasting down the trail at breakneck speed tearing up everything in sight. This can have a real impact on us as a whole because this perception only serves to energize the anti mountain bike folks to lobby for less bike access. It's an easy stereotype to throw out there to garner support for restrictive legislation.

·
mtb enthusiast
334 Posts
When I tell freinds/family that my entry-level HT cost $1,100 they can't believe it. Aside from running, I think MTBing is a fairly reasonably priced fitness hobby.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
A lot of people see mountain biking as being DANGEROUS...it's as dangerous as you want to make it I always say. And...it's a whole lot safer then road biking with cars wizzing by you/turning in front of you....generally trying to kill you because they don't like sharing "their space" with you.

·
Just Trying to Get Better
44 Posts
Seems like everyone I talk to either thinks mountain biking is gravel path or DH type stuff. This is of course right after they sarcastically say, "Mountain biking?...but we don't live in Colorado."

Arrrrrrgggghhh.

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
I stopped telling people I mt. bike.

I got too many idiots recommending gravel double track trails to me.

I told one guy I race at a ski hill and he was shocked that we road bikes on it let alone raced. One black chick freaked out when I told her about mt. biking and asked "WHY YOU WANNA DO DAT?" "YOU ONE OF THEM CRAZY WHITE BOYS"

Save yourself the :rolleyes: and dont even bring it up. There are local forums to network with likeminded ppl.

·
U sayin' Bolt ?
1,364 Posts
I have felt the attitude that mtn biking is like recreational skiing or something:
Load up the car-
Drive to the locale with shades and tunes on-
Unpack, get suited and booted, clip in and ride-
Do it again next weekend or month.

I kinda get miffed when people think my time is spent on some little novelty: un-unique, predictable and simple.

To me my bike is a fantastic machine that turns days and nights into trips away from overly-conscious thought, long resting heart rates, bipedalism, social living and any other uniquely human traits of civility.

I romp my local loops alone, pushing my mindset to a place of focu s and feeling ... Since nobody else sees it and people who don't ride never feel it, it is no wonder the majority of people don't understand it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mountain Biking

Most people I talk to either think of what you are talking about or BMX kids. Not enough exposure I guess. When you get to more outdoor style cities they are more familar...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Seems like everyone I talk to either thinks mountain biking is gravel path or DH type stuff.
That's basically all I hear too. Only think of the 2 extremes of riding. Riding on dirt single-track with trees, rocks, hills and roots never crosses their mind. Don't even know it exists. I've learned not to bring up riding in conversation.

I used to get excited when someone I'd meet would mention that they mountain biked. I'd then find out that they were thinking of riding paved rail trails and that a 2 mile ride was a long ride for them.

·
Banned
773 Posts
Most people hear mountain biker and think of some Mt. Dew swilling, trail skidding, downhilling huckster trouble maker. Thank Dog none of them post in General. ;)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts