Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my birthdays comming up and i usually get alot of money and i dont have anything else to use it on so im upgrading my 05 cannondale chase 3

my list so far

rockshox argyle 318 Coil Fork '07
E-13 SRS Chainguide w/ Bash Ring
Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc Brake '06(to get rid of the rear rim brake)
Marzocchi Front Hub 20mm (so i can use a 20mm thru axle)

what do you guys think of these items, any problems i should know about, or any other things i should get.

·
Registered
297 Posts
it looks like a really great upgrade list. the BB5 is one of the best mech. brakes ive felt. tell me how the argyle works because im about to get a new fork too..

·
Registered
592 Posts
That sounds awesome as Hardrockcromo said, they feel awesome i felt them on the 2007 P1. E-13's are suppose to be really nice chainguide's also my friend wants one of those. As Hardrockcromo said, tell us how the Argyle feels.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea the bb5 are one of the best mech. brakes, thats why im getting the rear one. i really dont understand why cannondale would put a bb5 disk brake in the front and then put rim brakes in the back.

·
Registered
297 Posts
probably cost..? otherwise im not quite sure. is the chase 3 the higher or lower of the models? if its the lower, the reason is probably cost, otherwise im not sure...

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
cause rim brakes = better stopping control or something like that.
OR
cause rim brakes = can be set up to brake faster than disk brakes or are stiffer braking or something like that
OR
cause rim brakes don't get screwed up as badly when crashing
OR
(don't think so) because he wants to run rear peg on his non drive side, and with a disk brake he would screw up the brake messing up on a grind or stall, but I don't think he'll be able to run a peg and gears at the same time anyway due to the axle size (or can he?)

I'm barely qualified to say anything about this, so I won't be able to explain 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are pretty self-explanatory I think.

·
Lost and never found
84 Posts
because the chase 3 is the low model for that year i would have to sat cannondale did it for cost and nothing else. Disk brakes will give you much better modulation that a rim brake, although and 8 inch rotor in the front seems to be overkill for a dj bike

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dirtyharry said:
cause rim brakes = better stopping control or something like that.
OR
cause rim brakes = can be set up to brake faster than disk brakes or are stiffer braking or something like that
OR
cause rim brakes don't get screwed up as badly when crashing
OR
(don't think so) because he wants to run rear peg on his non drive side, and with a disk brake he would screw up the brake messing up on a grind or stall, but I don't think he'll be able to run a peg and gears at the same time anyway due to the axle size (or can he?)

I'm barely qualified to say anything about this, so I won't be able to explain 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 are pretty self-explanatory I think.
i guess those make sense, but if those were the reasons then why didnt they also put rim brakes on the front.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
what the hell? I am most certainly not wrong on all acounts!

rim brakes most certainly have better crashability, and most certainly are better for running pegs!

also, there is something about the stopping power of rim brakes that I can't really say 'cause I barely know enough about it to say, but it has to do with modulation (or stopping control?!?). I know trials riders generally don't use rear disk . . . I didn't say rim brakes give more power. Disk rules in that category (with the exception of the four post maguras!)

and i remember also that when set up a certain way, the stiffness or something of the brake, or some really specific thing like that was a plus . . .

and I misread the post, so i guess I am technically wrong in context, I didn't realize the rim brake was stock, not being added on. cannondale put it on there because of cost. It saved them roughly 30 bucks a bike I'm guessing, so 30 x a lot . . .

·
tuck-n-roll master
636 Posts
rracer11 said:
my birthdays comming up and i usually get alot of money and i dont have anything else to use it on so im upgrading my 05 cannondale chase 3

my list so far

rockshox argyle 318 Coil Fork '07
E-13 SRS Chainguide w/ Bash Ring
Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc Brake '06(to get rid of the rear rim brake)
Marzocchi Front Hub 20mm (so i can use a 20mm thru axle)

what do you guys think of these items, any problems i should know about, or any other things i should get.
you have a rear disc hub i'm assuming? just had to be sure... putting a rim brake on a disc wheel is strange.

·
Lost and never found
84 Posts
dirtyharry,
I would have to agree that you are correct about rim brakes being slightly more durable in a crash, and that they're better for running pegs, but rim brakes lack in modulation and are good for trials as they can be set up to give all of their power with not much lever pull, but the power of disk brakes can be applied with more control

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You can true rotors a bit.

If you do a lot of trialsy moves with disc brakes, it's very possible to sheer off those disc tabs. Disc brakes usually offer more modulation, but it's very easy to set up rim brakes to lock up. You can also set up rim brakes to offer some modulation. Rim brakes are typically lighter, and cheaper.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You can true rotors a bit.

If you do a lot of trialsy moves with disc brakes, it's very possible to sheer off those disc tabs. Disc brakes usually offer more modulation, but it's very easy to set up rim brakes to lock up. You can also set up rim brakes to offer some modulation. Rim brakes are typically lighter, and cheaper.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok you guys have a point, im probably just wasting money and adding weight by putting on a disk brake, so im scratching that off my list. i really have never had a problem with that brake either, iits always just seemed wierd that i have two different brakes.

im also been thinking twice about the argye because if the position of the rebound adjuster, and the price. anyone know of another fork with rebound, comp and preload adj.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.