Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I followed your advice and went out to one of the local bike shops and went bike shopping.

Tried this Gary Fisher Advance bike...and really liked the feel of it.

What do you think of it?? I have only been mtn biking a few times, but I would not call myself a "beginner."

Price is around 370...something I could afford paying..

your thoughts?

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Made in Canada
415 Posts
It would be a decent beginner bike if you're strapped for cash. Personally, you could get a much better used bike for the price, something much better than that bike. If I were you I would avoid buying a bike under $500 new, used is a different story. Just my $0.02.

·
Cuánto pesa?
7,823 Posts
Decent entry level bike for the $
Frame: Silver Series aluminum
Fork: SR Suntour XCT V2 w/preload, 80mm travel
Headset: Aheadset w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Crank: SR Suntour XCC-T102 42/34/24
Pedals: Nylon platform
Front Derailleur: Shimano C050
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Shifters: Shimano EF50
Cassette: SRAM PG830 11-32, 8 speed
Handlebar: Bontrager Approved, 30mm rise
Stem: Bontrager Approved 25 degree (women's: 40 degree)
Saddle: Bontrager Approved
Seatpost: Bontrager Approved
Wheelset: Alloy front, Shimano RM30 rear hub; Matrix 550 rims
Tires: Bontrager Connection Trail, 26x2.0
Brakeset: Tektro V w/Shimano EF50 levers​

·
Registered
241 Posts
Depends upon what you plan to do with it..

This bike is capable of riding down the street, or flats off road.

I wouldn't trust it for doing much else. Or you risk destroying it or worse in short order.

I recently got back into mountain biking after being out of it for 15 years.. What I've discovered is almost anything under $500 today just looks like a mtb. They simply aren't designed or built robust enough to ride seriously in the mountains or on rugged trails.

They are meant to last long enough to convince you to buy another bike for a lot more money. That's why they call them 'entry level' bikes. I call them 'pretenders'..

Why spend your money twice?

That being said, Gary Fisher's a good name. Maybe they're trying to buck the trend or something. Might be a decent bike to consider until you're ready for something more serious. But then, if you've mountain biked before seriously, don't expect this bike to make you happy. May even be risky.

And if you decide to get it, don't even think about trusting it on any serious downhill, etc... And buy yourself a good helmet to go with it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.