Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.I ride freeride and downhill.I am getting into some bigger jumps and drops.I just got some elbow guards but I keep hearing about these pressure suits.My main concern is my spine.I guess I want to know if they really help or not.
Do you think they are necessary or are they useless?or are elbow and shin guards good enough?
also are they bulky and any suggestions on good ones?

Thanks

·
clyde in training
1,917 Posts
I only wear a helmet, but any additional protection definitely has benefits. It might give you a confidence boost too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
get a 661 pro pressure suit. i have one and they are good. light, cool and good protection.

get some under armor or something for under it because it only covers your front on the chest and a little on the stomach with the kidney belt.

its weird because sometimes i feel like i move less with the suit on, but its not because of restriction, it must be a mental thing. i feel a little less fluid than when im wearing just a shirt or a jersey.

but it offers really good protection

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
The pressure suit offerings from 661 are great. I know my old pressure suit saved my back at least twice in some very hard crashes. It didn't quite fit me as well as I wanted, and felt bulky and slightly restrictive (661 pressure suit.. not the pro or SP-1) so I bought a Dainese Pro Impact Race jacket and love it. don't even feel it riding.

·
Registered
708 Posts
i just bought an 08 flakjacket for the holidays, havent really used it yet but ive tried it on and it feels awesome.

btw, protection is always a plus, there may be some better p suits, check them, go to your LBS and try one on...

for me, a p suit is a confidence booster on the big drops!

check it out.. www.rockgardn.com

·
The Beaver
1,153 Posts
I have a Rock Gardn Flak Jacket and it is awesome, very comfortable.

but because I never wreck I don't know if it works............. just kidding

I have wrecked to many times in this thing and I always walk away without even feeling it... the couple of times I have wrecked and I was not wearing it I have regretted it... like today for instance...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Mwehahaha said:
I have a Rock Gardn Flak Jacket and it is awesome, very comfortable.
What he said.

That thing has saved my bacon a few times.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,986 Posts
after riding one for awhile you will feel naked without it

·
Registered
982 Posts
There ain't no downside to it.....

3 good reasons to wear full protection when riding FR or DH:

1. The cost of even a full Dainese kit is less than the deductible on my health insurance - $1000/yr.;
2. I will be able to ride tomorrow if I crash, vs. standing around watching others ride while I heal; and,
3. There is really no downside to wearing it; if you have to climb via pedal power to get to the descent, strap it onto your Camelbak; all of it combined will weigh less than a 100oz. bladder of water, and then strap it on for the descent.

And, if peer pressure is keeping you from wearing it and your riding bro's give you flak about being a puss, find some new riding partners; your current ones are idiots.:nono:

·
Registered
982 Posts
You can't spell, either

I don't know what an "idot" is but that isn't what I said.

·
Jersey Hucker
314 Posts
Protection=Good

I just got elbow pads after getting stitches twice in a span of 6 months. I use separate chest protector and elbow pads which works great. I'll eventually get a pressure suit probably though, but right now I need money for other stuff. :madman:

·
Registered
982 Posts
At least you know where the edit button is

You are quick on the trigger, too, grasshopper; nice catch on the "edit" button.

motormonkeyr6 said:
Its ok, I know I cant spell.
Now I can spell gooder, thanks :D

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
It really all depends on your skill and comfort level of riding.

For all of summer 07, I shredded Northstar with just a helmet and shin pads, no upper body protection at all. I own a pressure suit, and it is a tad bit hard riding with it. I don't really crash a lot, I'm a pretty conservative rider in certain senses. If you know when to bail, how to get yourself out of stickey situations, I really don't see the need for a pressure suit.

However, its one of those things that the more you wear it riding, the more you get used to it . It's kind of a lot like my Hockey Pads. The first few games with all my gear on I felt like a flippin fatty with so much extra stuff on, now all the gear feels natural and I can play just as good with it than without it.

·
dirt rules
3,050 Posts
Dainese shuttle suit FTW!
The Dainese stuff fits like a glove, and is very comfortable. Near the best you can get.
Or a jacket and some good knee/shins.
Just do it, if you push yourself, you will eventually go down, and you will be glad you had it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
albertomannil said:
i just bought an 08 flakjacket for the holidays, havent really used it yet but ive tried it on and it feels awesome.

btw, protection is always a plus, there may be some better p suits, check them, go to your LBS and try one on...

for me, a p suit is a confidence booster on the big drops!

check it out.. www.rockgardn.com
I ordered an 08 Flak Jacket myself last week, except mine is still on its way. I'm looking forward to trying it on when it gets here, to check out the articulation and see how it fits.

·
Registered
202 Posts
got a 2008 flak jacket for x-mas and its very confortable to move around and keeps things cool. Oh and the removable elbow guards and removable back slider is a big plus! you can use it as a full jacket, short-sleeve jacket, or just the elbow guards. waiting for a L since the XL was just too big at the chest.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i ride with the 661 assault suit which is the one that is liek a short sleeve with no attached elbow/arm protection. but i wear a set of sette elbow/arm guards. the suit is super comfy and it fits me pretty good. it does seem a little short on me but i do have a tall upper body. the new rockgardn vest/suit (name escapes me righ tnow) is awesome looking. its has the basic construction of a chest protectore but built with the materials of a suit so it is more flexible. and will set you back liek 120.:thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts