Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My xt CN-HG94 chain is stretched to 0.75 mm, according to my chain checker. It has been great for almost 1.5 yrs, combined with kmc missing link.

So I need new chain, and will also get new missing link.

The KMC X10SL is on top of my list, and XT CN-HG95 is second.
What's your opinion on that KMC?
I'm only 175 lbs geared up, not so aggressive rider.

Thanks in advance...☺☺

·
Sup
1,696 Posts
I don't know if they had a bad run but the two kmc chains I had broke , never broke a sram or shimano , just my two cents

·
Registered
973 Posts
only got 100ish miles...

on mine, but quiet and shifts great...I did replace the chain rings with a Race Face Turbine set at the same time though...really not that much better than the HG54 the bike came with...I also lube it with Finish Line ceramic wax...for what it costs ya gotta keep the look :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I am more confused now...hahaha..
I think I will try KMC chain, gold one..

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I buy only KMC now. I've not had breaks or any incident with them in the 7 or so years I've been using them. The X10L is a good option if you want to spend less $$.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I really like the KMC, and for me, in wet weather, it wore better than an XT chain does. If money were no object, I'd go KMC, but they are often almost twice as expensive as XT.
umm you're kinda comparing two different "classes" of chain.. KMC in the same class is usually 20-30% less. The KMC's SL (super light) are above XTR/SRAM's highest end chains..

an XT is equal to the KMC X10L or more like the X10.93 in actual weight as the X10.93 is still lighter and are in the Mid $20 range generally where the XT is closer to $40+.. compare performance and weight.. the KMC's are gunna be less expensive.

I don't know if they had a bad run but the two kmc chains I had broke , never broke a sram or shimano , just my two cents
don't use the super light.. get the slightly heavier but stronger X10.93 or the X10L or maybe a X10-TI
the super lights are the most popular because,.. well they are light.. lighter than any other chain out there I believe.. but if you are breaking them.. don't get a super light ;)

all I use now is KMC, don't do 10 speed but for 9 they are better/cheaper/lighter and longer lasting.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I have been running KMC chains for the last 2 years and have been v. pleased. Currently, I have the SL and it seems to be holding up fine. My last KMC lasted around 500 miles before going to 0.75, it was the standard X10.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
umm you're kinda comparing two different "classes" of chain.. KMC in the same class is usually 20-30% less. The KMC's SL (super light) are above XTR/SRAM's highest end chains..

an XT is equal to the KMC X10L or more like the X10.93 in actual weight as the X10.93 is still lighter and are in the Mid $20 range generally where the XT is closer to $40+.. compare performance and weight.. the KMC's are gunna be less expensive.
Well, I was comparing the two chains the OP was discussing. Out of those two chains, both of which I have ridden, the comparison is dead on. Now, many folks will say buy 2 cheaper chains and get more mileage than one expensive one. That's advice worth thinking about, but if money is no object… Now, your point about purchasing the KMC X10L over the more expensive KMC versions is a good one, and I'll take it to buy the new chain I'm due.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I used it on my road bike and to me, did not find a significant difference in anything. I got the gold x10SL and after a few months the gold plating started wearing off on the inside plate. I've run Dura Ace, Ultegra, and pretty much every SRAM chain to try and quiet the SRAM hollow road cassette. Performance-wise...none made a difference to where it really mattered.

Also ran the DLC black and red chain...found really nothing different about that either. One pricey chain.

To me a chain is a chain. I run a basic Rotor SH 10CR chain on my road bike and a KMC x10L on the MTB. Both for under 30 bucks.

i don't usually wait till my chain is fully stretched to replace it. I'd rather replace the chain vs the cassette.

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
Well, I was comparing the two chains the OP was discussing. Out of those two chains, both of which I have ridden, the comparison is dead on. Now, many folks will say buy 2 cheaper chains and get more mileage than one expensive one. That's advice worth thinking about, but if money is no object… Now, your point about purchasing the KMC X10L over the more expensive KMC versions is a good one, and I'll take it to buy the new chain I'm due.
ya, he is comparing to way diff class chains,.. but really all there is to the upper ones is a tad of weight savings... and honestly I think the cheaper solid linked one last longer.. Only reason I got the SL the last 2 times was I found them on a close out sale for 30 bucks so I got 2.. worth it then :)

I used it on my road bike and to me, did not find a significant difference in anything. I got the gold x10SL and after a few months the gold plating started wearing off on the inside plate. I've run Dura Ace, Ultegra, and pretty much every SRAM chain to try and quiet the SRAM hollow road cassette. Performance-wise...none made a difference to where it really mattered.

Also ran the DLC black and red chain...found really nothing different about that either. One pricey chain.

To me a chain is a chain. I run a basic Rotor SH 10CR chain on my road bike and a KMC x10L on the MTB. Both for under 30 bucks.

i don't usually wait till my chain is fully stretched to replace it. I'd rather replace the chain vs the cassette.
yup.. agree, only thing for the money is weight savings for the super racer types

·
Registered
633 Posts
I use KMC chains on all my bikes

I have the SL on the road bike, but not cross and MTB. The hollowed out side plates looks like more dirt and crap to get lodged in there.

Though the SL seems quieter than the L I have on the cross bike. Both 10-speed

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
I use KMC chains on all my bikes

I have the SL on the road bike, but not cross and MTB. The hollowed out side plates looks like more dirt and crap to get lodged in there.

Though the SL seems quieter than the L I have on the cross bike. Both 10-speed

Sent from my iPhone. There may be horrible grammar and misspelling involved
Might let it in, but also let it out when on a muddy course with the CX bikes..

·
Registered
973 Posts
ya, he is comparing to way diff class chains,.. but really all there is to the upper ones is a tad of weight savings... and honestly I think the cheaper solid linked one last longer.. Only reason I got the SL the last 2 times was I found them on a close out sale for 30 bucks so I got 2.. worth it then :)

yup.. agree, only thing for the money is weight savings for the super racer types
Might let it in, but also let it out when on a muddy course with the CX bikes..
did you mean XC or, as written, CX?...doesn't make much difference either way, does it...

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
did you mean XC or, as written, CX?...doesn't make much difference either way, does it...
nope it doesn't.. But I actually was thinking CX though as the few races I've seen have sections that are deliberately in the mud in some field or what ever with CX... XC it's known as a big no-no to ride in mud.. well unless it's a race.. but they don't go making it :)

·
Registered
973 Posts

nope it doesn't.. But I actually was thinking CX though as the few races I've seen have sections that are deliberately in the mud in some field or what ever with CX... XC it's known as a big no-no to ride in mud.. well unless it's a race.. but they don't go making it :)
yep :yesnod: or is it yup?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts