Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking with one of the techs at dt swiss the other day and he mentioned that dt revolutions alone might be too flexy for my setup.

He mentioned using dt revolutions on the front wheel and using dt revolutions on the rear non drive side and dt supercomps on the drive side for added stiffness. I am 157lbs and don't really weigh down the wheels, but I would hate the idea of building a wheelset that has too much flex, especially if the difference is minimal.

Fronts would be v brake Hugi 240(94g), Mavic 517(395g), 32 1.8dt revolution., 32 nipples = est 631g
Rears would be v brake Hugi 240(240g), Mavic 517(395g), 16. 1.8dt revolution 66g, 16 supercomp 2.0 81.5 = 808 ... If I want all dt revs it would be 792.5 to give you an idea

1439 would be the total weight. Next year I'll switch to ztr 355's, which should drop another 80grams off that.

I would go with sapim cxrays, but it would cost me $150 shipped for spokes alone

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
This is my exact setup. Revos F and non-drive rear with supercomps on the DS. These wheels are much stiffer then my CrossMaxes. At your weight you will be just fine. You will be happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks axis!
I'm glad to know they worked well for you.
What is the spoke count on the tune hubs? Also, the dts you are using, are they 1.8 or 2? On the supercomps can you use the standard alloy nipples?
1271g is extremely light!
I figure with the ztrs, it would clock me at 1359 minus the tape and valve stem, which is light enough for me. hugis are about 70g-90g heavier than the tune hubs, so that is about right.

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
Eddie3dfx said:
Thanks axis!
I'm glad to know they worked well for you.
What is the spoke count on the tune hubs? Also, the dts you are using, are they 1.8 or 2? On the supercomps can you use the standard alloy nipples?
1271g is extremely light!
I figure with the ztrs, it would clock me at 1359 minus the tape and valve stem, which is light enough for me. hugis are about 70g-90g heavier than the tune hubs, so that is about right.
Well, they are 32 count but the rest I dunno. Muke Curiak built these for me but I do know they are Al nips all around. Curiak builds a very mean wheel, IMO. I'll have another set like this very soon for my new build. I'll post pics.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
I weight about the same and use a similar setup.

Road: 32h 3x Revos except for driveside, which is 3x Comps
Hardtail: 32h, front 3x/2x Revos, rear 2x Revos non-drive, 3x Comps Driveside.

I did notice a little bit of flex when I still had a ti frame, but I really can't tell the difference with my marathon/endurance bike, which has Comp spokes same.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I have a set of Hugi 240/Mavic 517 laced 3x 32 hole rear, 28 hole front with revos all around. Additionally I have a set of Hugi 240s/Stans Olympic disks laced 3x 32 hole front and rear with supercomps all the way around. I love the disk set, and if I had it to do over again, I would have used supercomps on the rear of my 517s. The revos on the rear have just a little too much flex for my taste. I weigh 155 FWIW.

·
Person
775 Posts
Which size of Revolution spokes would most people be using? The 1.8's or 2.0's?

Thinking about using Supercomps on driveside, wondered if I can get away with the 1.8 Revo's for the non-drive. Will be using a DT 240 disc rear hub, but it will only be used for v-brakes.

Anyone have a front wheel with the 1.8's? Will be building with a 32 hole King classic hub. I weigh 160-170 pounds in riding season.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.