Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I recently bought a BLT frame off ebay and built it up with a motobecane parts donor. So, with those components (mostly XTR drivetrain, elixr cr brakes) plus some other new parts, I have a pretty nice bike. However, I'm wondering about my fork which is a Reba Race (120mm). I'm pretty new to suspension but I do like this fork, so far as I've used it. But I believe the bike was originally spec'd with longer travel. If I do change to a longer or adjustable travel fork - in line with the original design - how might this enhance handling. Most of my riding so far has been fairly tight roller coaster singletrack with small drops and jumps (maybe 2-3 feet) and lots of roots. Adjustable travel is very appealing to me - at least in theory - but I don't really want to buy it just to say I have it. Commentary and fork recommendations are appreciated. Also, is there a thread or website that would bring me up to date with current suspension technologies without doing multiple searches for individual terms? Thanks

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
RS Revelation is a nice fork , the set I had where 130mm down to 100mm I think, nice air fork performed well, the latest version is now up to 140mm-110mm and the option for a 20mm maxle light, which would stiffen the front end up, and you would notice an nice improvement through the roots and any rough stuff.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yea the revelations are nice and is what i have on mine. you could also go for the pike which seems to be 'the' fork for the BLT1, 140mm hits the sweet spot + adjustability. the other common adjustable is the fox talas 36 which gives you up to 160mm for steeper down hill sections. unless you are concerned with weight, I would go for the talas 36 as I know sometimes i wish i had more travel on the front for rocky descents.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Revelation and Pike have about the same amount of adjustable travel. Looks like the pike has a coil spring and rev. has an air spring. They are also approx. the same weight and price. Am I missing somthing? Is there some performance characteristic that differentiates them? The 160mm travel of the talas is probably overkill for me - kinda on the flat side around here. Thanks for the replies.

·
nerfherder
1,674 Posts
I ran the BLT1 with a 130mm Fox Float. It felt perfect and even climbing steep stuff I never felt the need for a travel adjust fork. If it's flat where you ride I'd so don't bother with travel adjust.

Given the description of your trails I'd consider the RockShox Pike or the new Fox 32 TALAS with the 15mm through axle. Both these forks have through axles so they'd necessitate a new front wheel. That, by the way, is one of the differences between the Pike and Revelation. The Revelation will take your existing wheel. The Pike will need a new one. Also, the Pike comes in single air, dual air, or coil. The Rev, I believe, is just air.

The benefit of the through axle can be felt through the roots where the stiffer front end will track straighter and hold a line better. But if you're not up to ponying up for a new fork and wheel then I say go with the Rev or one of the quick release versions of the Fox 32 Float (air) or Vanilla (coil).

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
I have been pedaling an 07 BLT 1 for a while now and have a Talas 100-120-140 mm on it and generally run it at 120mm for the XC riding I do. For a bit I twisted it down to 100mm but the bike climbs well at 120mm also, so after the first couple of rides I just set it at 120 and went with it. I have ridden some 08 era Sids with 28mm stanchions and they were a bit flexy (but I am no lightweight Racer) and it really is not the best suited fork for the bike. I have hit some trails with out of state friends and found the adjustability helpful, but for most XC without huge drops a 120mm would be a great do it all well fork -(maybe a120mm Reba or F120 would be a bit better if you go the set it and forget it route?)

If you want to go adjustable It all depends on your ride style, the BLT 1 or 2 is so versitile that it can run a 100mm or 160mm and feel good depending on your application. Weather it is a Fox or Rockshock you run it is up to you both make good products... The Fox Talas has quick 20mm adjustments VS the dial it in accuracy of the U-turn sustem on the Revelation and Reba. If you see yourself adjusting on the fly the 32mm Talas is great, if you ride the same loop all of the time and don't see yourself adjusting on the fly than the U-turn are able to go 115mm, 125mm etc to give you the "perfect" steering feel "you" want for your ride style (my budddy runs a 90-130mm Revelation at 115mm on his Elsworth Epiphany and it best for him).

It is a great bike enjoy it-

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.