Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The owner has had it since mid 80's. He doesn't remember.

Attachments

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looks like it was a 1960's Murray. Twin top tubes, rather than a single top tube with twin cantilever tubes like most others. Long "spock ear" dropouts. May have been sold as a Sears or other private label bike. Google Murray spaceliner for description of full-dresser versions.

Rims look like Arayas from the eighties. I am not familiar with hubs enough to tell many apart. Chain ring is a generic replacement (or maybe a Schwinn banana-bike model ) and it looks like 180mm Ashtabula-style BMX cranks. That isn't a Murray fork of course, but again, I'm not sharp enough to tell the diff between most of the BMX replacements available over the years.

Style is reminiscent of Clunker/Klunker/Bomber, but that Murray frame is about the weakest of the cruisers. They were about the lightest, too, if that matters. It would never have survived even one trip down Mt Tam, but I have one in more of a rat-rod style and it has held up fairly well for occasional recreational rides on the streets.

Edit...mine has an old Colson fork from the 1930's. Heavy, but way stronger than the Murray, and I think likely stronger than a forged Schwinn.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah, that frame is as cheap as they got. The rear dropouts give it away, in the way the seatstays and chainstays are stamped flat.

It is what it is. Like every other bike, if the owner is happy with it, that's all that really matters.

·
Gamers local 2112
946 Posts
chain ring looks like a 39 tooth schwinn varsity. I've seen several frames from the late 50's, early 60's like that.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Not too excited about the frame, but there are a few cool parts on there. Ride it until the frame breaks, then transfer the components over to a prewar Schwinn.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You might be right about the Schwinn varsity chain ring, REV06; I haven't seen one in that size. I also wasn't sure that an 1960's Schwinn chain ring would fit on a 24TPI crank. Third reason was that the style-lines formed when the spokes are cut out in stamping looked wider, comparatively, and the dimples look much more pronounced than those on a couple old Schwinns in my "spare parts repository" (old bike pile), but then, none of them are 39T. That would be from the inner ring from a 39-52 10-speed set-up, right? I don't have any in my pile to go check.

AS I said, I have one of these frames and it's about as flexible as a cooked noodle. They are lighter than a comparable Schwinn canti frame though, and for a street cruiser that might be OK.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
oldschoolcolo said:
looks like a pro neck or tuff neck. those are nice $$
I concur with the stem. And also that those look to be Araya 7X rims. Could be Sunshine or ACS hubs w/ the blue anno and hi-flange. The forks look like they could be Schwinn but others like Bottemas also looked similar? Hard to tell from the pic.

There's at least a few decent parts.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Those blue anno rims, hubs, and brakes, and that chrome fork all look like stock parts from an early 80s Schwinn King Sting. Obviously that's not a King Sting frame, but it may have been built up later from a stripped King Sting.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Yeah, those are definitely Dia Compe MX-1000 brakes. (But not the levers)
The fork isn't King Sting but could be Sidewinder?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts