Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, Its this one. No offense to any of its owners, but the frame looks like its bent..and that wheelbase looks a bit awkward. May feel just fine on the trails though, i don't know...;)
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Wheel

·
Registered
513 Posts
I saw one of these on Ebay a month ago when I was looking for a road bike for my wife. "Tortola Roundtail". In some ways, I think the looks could grow on me. I didn't bid though bc the last thing wifey wants is everyone asking her about her bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
This a topic that intrigues me.

The bikes I ride were not picked primarily for visual aesthetics.

The result is that most of them are plain and simple double diamond bicycles.

I have one carbon FS mtb bike which has some of the shapes in the OP's example.

Also I'm building up a bike which is non-traditional. I'm not sure if I am going to like the way that one looks. But I'm also not sure if I will like riding it. And I am pretty sure if I like the ride, I will like the shape.

The material from which the bike frame is made out of determines possibilities.

Steel being the original material has defined the basic shape. Because of that the ubiquitous thin tubed double diamond shape is universally accepted.

New materials, techniques, and designs are new alternatives. This is a good thing.

I enjoyed looking at the roundtail bike presented above. I actually saw that bike on eBay once in the past, and took a long look at it. I think it's brilliant. I'm not interested in riding it though.

I think the variety of designs on the market are beautiful. Still, I find myself riding traditional steel bikes.

Another alternative design that fascinates me are the Slingshot bikes.

Here's a detail of the bike i am riding this afternoon. The small details are things that intrigue me as well

·
Registered
622 Posts
my bike.. a 2018 Trance Advance 2... I don't mind the curvy bit as I will take it and better stand over clearance vs straight top tube and smashed balls pretty much any day.

giant's colorways / paint / graphics have improved greatly in the last few years.. the paint / graphics on the OP's bike pic are not from the best age for giant in this regard (imho)

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

this is my older and somewhat "so hideous it is awesome" 2012 Anthem X 29er
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork

it is kinda of a ugly bike ..but it is fun to ride

blah blah... I kinda don't care what a bike looks like if it serves it's purpose well and is fun. I do think my 2018 trance is pretty badass looking however..

I kinda hate murdered out bikes (or anything else really) all shades of black trucks / cars / bikes I do not like the looks of at all...

·
Cycologist
10,085 Posts
I saw one of these on Ebay a month ago when I was looking for a road bike for my wife. "Tortola Roundtail". In some ways, I think the looks could grow on me. I didn't bid though bc the last thing wifey wants is everyone asking her about her bike.
You didn't want guys telling her "nice roundtail you got there"?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my bike.. a 2018 Trance Advance 2... I don't mind the curvy bit as I will take it and better stand over clearance vs straight top tube and smashed balls pretty much any day.

giant's colorways / paint / graphics have improved greatly in the last few years.. the paint / graphics on the OP's bike pic are not from the best age for giant in this regard (imho)

View attachment 1251028

this is my older and somewhat "so hideous it is awesome" 2012 Anthem X 29er
View attachment 1251030

it is kinda of a ugly bike ..but it is fun to ride

blah blah... I kinda don't care what a bike looks like if it serves it's purpose well and is fun. I do think my 2018 trance is pretty badass looking however..

I kinda hate murdered out bikes (or anything else really) all shades of black trucks / cars / bikes I do not like the looks of at all...
Dont get me wrong i love the way giant bikes look with the curvy tubes. I ve always wanted an older reign, glory, or faith because i like the look of that frame shape. But its more about that trance's gemoetry: the wheelbase: that HA , and the seat tube, makes wonder if its a fun rideable bike. Maybe it is though. I get it that they are trying to increase reach, but it may be hell to pedal wihth that STA.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,317 Posts
It depends on the size/color/setup for me.

I’ve seen some Ibis Mojos that were just awful, and some that were fine. Seems the smaller frame sizes are ugly.

A short-travel pivot looks fine, the longer-legged ones from a few years back literally look like they’re melting.

For some reason every Lenz bike I’ve ever seen looks like it needs about 5 more inches of top tube.

Just so I’m not discriminating on FS only:

I’m not a fan of any bike where the toptube and seat stays are basically one long arc from headtube to rear axle. The Niner Air9 and one of the Specialized Carbon HTs come to mind. It makes the seatpost waaaaayyy too long.

There’s something else that always makes me cringe when I see it, I just can’t bring it to mind right now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
passed out in your garden
3,329 Posts
I really like as many straight, round tubes as is practical on a bicycle. All the crazy bends and curvy shapes make a bicycle look like an alien spacecraft or an insect to me.
my thoughts too

I had a Trek Rumblefish, absolute killer to ride (imo) but damn the curvey bottom tube made me hate her

1 - 20 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.