Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, every body, my name is Ludo (i am French, so excuse me my poor english), I ride moutain bike in french and swiss alps, mainly XC and all mountain practice, i am the owner of a Czar 1.1 black (siez L) since a little bit more than one year.

I like my turner, fast response, dw link, before this bike, i had some cannondale, Kona, Yeti, Ibis mojo HD, Titane hardtrail and my last, Turner. I have choosen Turner because of dw link and good reputation frame constructor, i was also interested by IBis ripley LS.

But, recently, when i was washing my bike after session, i have found some "cracks" ?????? on frame. I don't know if it is some cracks or lack cracks. I need to go to my shop and see with them, what they are thinking about.

So, what do you thinking about these pics ? (taken from last
evening),

best regards
Ludo

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
May be an impact? I had a crack in my pivot covered under warranty and the tell-tale signs that it wasn't impact was the busted fibers and an irregular pattern (rather than a smooth line). You have spider cracks pointing towards it which tends to say impact AFAIK. On a fatbike frame I got a crack in a few years back, the crack didn't develop as much as the one on my pivot, but still had an irregular pattern as far as the line and then a few subsequent lines that were like waves/ripples. That one I am fairly certain was from casing some jumps :) The Pivot though was a flaw that came from the main pivot and fairly well documented/many people experienced it.

Can you take some closer pictures?, those are still very low-res and hard to see.

What size seatpost and frame are you using and how tall are you?

IMG_5844.jpg 01fef6beeaf3b5138f03abe4899435694ebd9e979c2.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your answer, i don't think, i am sure that is not an impact because, this is not an exposed way on frame, it is just in front of seat tube. I never fell with, my practice is not enough engaged, we talk XC and all mountain. I have some "cracks" on the two side and between the two sides only at the base of reinforcement seat tube. I don't know if this place of frame is particularly "stressed" or not. I think if there is an impact, just one side will be endommaged.
My "cracks" are like your second pic.

I have Two cracks on the both sides, at the same level, and several cracks in the other direction. For me, it seems to a stress on this part of frame.

I use thomson seatpost, and i am almost at a standstill, 2 cm (a little bit less than one pouce), so this is good lenght.

i hope, it's just varnish or lack endommaged, but why ?

a few months ago, I already had problems inserts that had taken off. I had seen directly with dave turner and I had to pick up.

i have contacted dave turner about this new incident.

I will post other pics tomorrow, the night become here

Thanks for your answer, have a good day (sorry if my english is not smart)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Looks like clear coat to me. Seen something similar on a mate's Czar and it's been fine.

I rode mine for 12,000 miles on mine, no issues with the frame.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a Large 1.0. I now have an XL 1.1 Friend has medium 1.0

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello, ok, thank you for the answer, do you still have your czar, do you have a photo? so that I can compare with my case. To be honest, I planned to invest the equivalent of 1000 dollars (adjustable seatpost, one drive transmission, new brakes) in my CZAR to make it evolve, and I noticed these "cracks" or "scratches" a few days ago. So there I do not know what to do. My frame is still under warranty, I am the owner and I paid more than 3000 dollars because in France, prices are higher than the US rates because of taxes and import fees, but I tested other turner before (Burner, sultan). I hope you understand my concern. If I knew that other CZAR had the broken frame in this place, I stop the project of evolution and go on another frame base. If it's just cosmetic and clear coat, that does not bother me, I continue on this basis. It's just pragmastism. I have already had to go to after sales service for more than a year ago and I do not want to put my foot in it. I would also like to remind you that I do not practice English fluently, so my communication may be misinterpreted or seem rude. This is not the case.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Looks like clear coat to me.
We need better pictures for sure, but it appears to have spider-cracks from the main cut/abrasion/line, that almost always indicates an impact AFAIK.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Friend has a similar experience. Looks the same as his from the pics

Send and email to David Turner.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'd disagree (respectfully) with some of the responses above. Definitely look like cracks to me - high stress area. I doubt you'd see cracks on both sides if it was impact. But I'm no expert. But as rone says, shoot an email to Turner - in my experience they're tremendously helpful

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone,
Firstly, thank you for giving me your opinion. I have already contacted D. Turner about this, and I 've seen my shop yesterday afternoon. I read several posts from this forum about breaks on carbon frames. I do not wish that. In a few months, a new season of MTB begins, I intend to ride well, because it is my passion. I have other pics, of course, but I will keep them confidential so as not to harm or influence anyone. If you have any questions, or whatever, I will continue or answer in private.
Thank you all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,
Firstly, thank you for giving me your opinion. I have already contacted D. Turner about this, and I 've seen my shop yesterday afternoon. I read several posts from this forum about breaks on carbon frames. I do not wish that. In a few months, a new season of MTB begins, I intend to ride well, because it is my passion. I have other pics, of course, but I will keep them confidential so as not to harm or influence anyone. If you have any questions, or whatever, I will continue or answer in private.
Thank you all.
Can you share the outcome of this? I have similar looking cracks in the same place on my wife's Czar 1.1 My mechanic pointed them out during a regular service and suggested they my be cracks in the clear coat or might be cracks in the carbon. I haven't contacted Turner yet and there is no local Turner dealer I can talk to.

Cheers,

·
Registered
372 Posts
Had the same hairline cracks in the same area, sent pics to Turner and DT said clearcoat. Over a year later and I've had no issues with that area yet.

I did crack the frame around the non-drive side lower pivot / BB area though, Turner helped me out with that.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Can you share the outcome of this? I have similar looking cracks in the same place on my wife's Czar 1.1 My mechanic pointed them out during a regular service and suggested they my be cracks in the clear coat or might be cracks in the carbon. I haven't contacted Turner yet and there is no local Turner dealer I can talk to.

Cheers,
Have you done a tap-test?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Reactions: iamdudley
1 - 19 of 19 Posts