Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you ride around town for training and fun, when you are not riding trails?

Roadbike?, Mountain bike with street tires? hybrid? etc? Show pics if you have them.

I ride a vintage road bike or a 700c rigid frame, flat bar hybrid. I've been enjoying the hybrid lately. It's like a high speed mtb on the street.

My vintage road bike. 1987 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.
Centurion Iron man daytime after first real road ride.jpg

A pic of a Gary Fisher hybrid like mine. Added some Shimano clipless pedals. I've been enjoying this one more lately. Easier to hop curbs etc. and just seems better for exploring and enjoying the scenery of the ride since the handlebar position is more relaxed.
gary fisher wingra.jpg

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
FS 29er on Fastraks just to get some cardio in when I do not have time to get to the good stuff. Prefer to avoid road riding but some times you just want to get out and stretch.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Sometimes my feet, sometimes this bike. Just a fixed gear that I built up from a Chicago-era Schwinn frame+fork.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I used to have a hybrid like yours, but sold it to put the money towards the MTB. Looking for an older hardtail MTB to throw some slicks on.
M wife and I like cruising the neighborhood or the Monon trail, which isn't very much fun on a FS.

·
Retro on Steroids
2,992 Posts
Long trips, Ritchey P-21 with 1.5" tires. Shorter trips, 3-4 miles, Gary Fisher HIFi 29er (because it has flat pedals and I don't have to change shoes). In theory I could ride my Lemond carbon fiber road bike somewhere, but I haven't even got it off the hook in four years.

I have other bikes for mountain biking.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Sirrus Expert with DT Swiss/White Industry wheels and lots of carbon. I've given up on my Carbon Roubaix as I don't use the drops anymore or go long road rides. The Sirrus is set up just like my mtb so handling, curb hopping and such, is easy. My hands are closer to all of the controls, too, so I feel safer.

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,262 Posts
Once in awhile, I dig out my '76 (post Ralph Nader!) Schwinn Stingray 3-speed. All original including the date code correct rims. This thing is not pristine, but its a VERY good survivor. The last time I rode it to my LBS, I tried to lock it in the outside bike rack while I was in the store and the owner wouldn't let me. He insisted I bring it in and put it behind the counter.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I ride a 2012 version of this. It's heavy and really nothing really special about it except it feels a lot like a Mtn Bike but rolls more like a road bike. For the price a good towny.
Yeah. Its not the sexiest bike but its definitely a good bike to cruise around the city in. Plus I could beat the hell out of this bike and not really care.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Trek Portland. Mine has 25mm tires, a rack, fenders, and when I was commuting on it, old-school caged pedals with toe clips. Lately, it's got Speedplays and I've been training on it while I wait for the weather to get better for my open-wheeled road bike.

I chewed it a bit while I was commuting on it, so it has SunRace 9-speed indexed downtube shifters and a 36-spoke rear wheel built on a M475 hub cannibalized from the stock rear wheel off my Hardrock. The spacing doesn't quite match, but everything works fine.

·
Registered
760 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts