Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Is my rear tire flat?
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we are in agreement here that a 29er hardtail rides differently than other bikes. For most, this seems to be a good thing. So, what is it about your ride that makes you giddy?

For me it has been "powering up stuff, climbing out of the saddle". Momentum of the big wheels just works for me. What else?

db

Attachments

·
oh crap...
550 Posts
I like the tractor analogy as well. For those of you who haven't driven tractors, they are surprisingly nimble machines and with their big wheels - they're unstoppable! I have found no reason whatsoever to return to a 26er for my single track riding!

·
Banned
4,271 Posts
Climbing traction out of the saddle. Amazing with the right tire.

On the steep DH when it gets sketchy . . not so much. Super on twisty singletrack.

PS: I like tractors, skiploaders, backhoes, ande excavators. Graders, not so much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Traction!

I rode with one of my riding buddies last weekend on a high speed trail with lots of wet leaves. He went down a total of 5 times on his 26er, although my wheels slid a little at times I didn't go down and maintained a much higher speed thru the corners. This wasn't possible on my old 26, we always rode even.

·
Is my rear tire flat?
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can understand that....

I have switched from full suspension to hardtails many times over the years. I can see people having the same internal battle with 26 vs. 29's. To have a quiver of bikes is a good thing and I would include all four variations for differents trails/rides if I had one.

db
Padre said:
I loved my 29er hardtail...but not enough...so I sold it.

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
dlbennett said:
I think we are in agreement here that a 29er hardtail rides differently than other bikes. For most, this seems to be a good thing. So, what is it about your ride that makes you giddy?

For me it has been "powering up stuff, climbing out of the saddle". Momentum of the big wheels just works for me. What else?

db
Climbing out of saddle and stomping on it coming out of tight corners is my favorite on the Karate Monkey because of the way it responds. Hopefully rigid HT's count in this discussion.:D

·
Is my rear tire flat?
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yes, rigid counts.....

I have been riding my fork locked out but still comfortably. This too also has been fun aspect.
db
BruceBrown said:
Climbing out of saddle and stomping on it coming out of tight corners is my favorite on the Karate Monkey because of the way it responds. Hopefully rigid HT's count in this discussion.:D

·
HTFU and Ride
1,198 Posts
as a big'un i like being able to stand up and THROW DOWN:)

with SS, Rigid, 29er everything i put into the pedals goes into moving me forward. on the group ride i was on last night i was blasting up steeps while a couple of the gearies were granny gearing it and spinning. i like just mashing on my 29 more than anything.

·
Daniel the Dog
6,762 Posts
I second the full suspension bike

I rode my Kona Unit 29er with front suspension the last three nights. The ride has a lot of climbing and some steep pitches. It is rocky in places too. It is like riding a jackhammer, but I do enjoy the simplicity of the ride and the big wheels are novel. Otherwise, a less enjoyable experience than my full suspension.

Jaybo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.