Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What do you NOT like about your TranceX

29K views 156 replies 88 participants last post by  pujetta 
#1 ·
I'll start.

1. Cable routing past the rear shock (so I modified it)
2. Chunky frame welds. I think smooth welds on hydro formed frames look much nicer.

What else say you, TX owners.

Cheers

#2 ·
For my '08 TX1:

1. No thru-axle fork (rode an '09 X2 for a couple of days and felt the difference) - just bought a Pike to replace my stock F120RL

2. Sweet, can't think fo anything else :)

I love the way it looks (only frame I'd rather have is the all-black '08 X2)

caak, how'd you end up routing your cables to the rear? I don't find the stock routing to be an issue for me...

#3 ·
Caak - Can you show a pic of your cable mod? I agree; I don't like how the housing rubs on the rear shock. My only other beef would be that I can't install the rear wheel with the tire inflated due to the fact that the the front of the rear triangle is centered.
Otherwise, the Trance X is so cool looking and I love the way it rides.

#6 ·
Just got an 08 black X2. In the process of upgrading a few things. The only problem I have with it so far is that it sits in my room to much. Work and school take up most of my time and with the days getting shorter its tough making it out to the trails before the sun goes down. Night rides have been a blast though!

#7 ·
I love my X0 and since it came with the 15mm thru axle I don't have the complaint. For me, the only issue I had was the seat post came way too long. I could adjust it for XC riding but as soon as I wanted to lower for descending it hit the bend in the seat tube. Not something a hacksaw couldn't fix.

I have noticed the cable routing past the shock but it hasn't been an issue for me.

#9 ·
'08 TX2 here...

I don't like the odd rear shock length/stroke. Makes it hard to find a replacement. I tend to ride on the more aggresive side and want something a little beefier than the Fox Float R and have not been able to find something in the same length/stroke. I may just send my shock out to Push (or take a loan on my 401k and get a beefier bike for the gnar stuff).

Another thing I didn't like were the grips, so I switched them out to some ODIs. I also recently replaced the Raceface crankset with FSA Maximus in 170mm length. The shortened length was noticable as I'm not mashing my pedals into obstacles or the ground anymore. Less leverege for climbing though (I don't care), and not big ring (again, I don't care since I didn't use it as much before).

Otherwise, awesome bike. I love it.

#11 ·
low bb is hit or miss... great for handling, bad for pedal strike/riding over things

cable routing is odd, but so is most on other fs bikes... at least no ghost shifting

head tube is really friggin tall

interrupted seat tube

non-stock shock length

...but all of these points are minor issues... I love the way my TX rides.

#13 ·
'08 X2 here also. I really like my Trance. Great all day do everything bike. I do have a question that I've tried to search in other posts, maybe I can get a few suggestions here? This problem is probably my riding or lack of riding skill but I feel the front tire wanting to 'flop' or 'wash out.' while turning. I've played with the fork settings, I have the correct air pressure in the fork (I'm 205+/- and have 100psi in the fork), I've even switched to a more aggressive tire Kenda Xcavator 2.3 The bike is stock except for the tire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: Sorry if I jacked the thread.

#18 ·
08' Trance X0 here. Liking everything about it. Although I feel like I run a crazy amount of sag, but never bottom out the shock. I am 190 with gear and normally run my RP23 at 190-205 PSI. What about you guys?

I sometimes feel to that the rear end tends to get "caught up" on uphill rock gardens and takes a bit of a heave to get over. But everything else is awesome!

I would like to see how this bike would handle if you could get a RS Monarch to fit.

Speaking of the cable housing issue...mine doesn't rub on the shock too much, but where it zip-ties to the link, the housing basically "squared" off after about a season of riding. I guess I'll be replacing housing more often.

#20 ·
TheProphet said:
Speaking of the cable housing issue...mine doesn't rub on the shock too much, but where it zip-ties to the link, the housing basically "squared" off after about a season of riding. I guess I'll be replacing housing more often.
That is essentially the main issue with the cable routing. Cable tie wears out the brake cable housing.

#21 ·
I know people complain about the cable routing. If the main concern is the zip tie to the rear suspension I wonder if it would make sense to use some tubing over the cable housing or the brake hose (which ever) so that there was not so much direct pressure exerted on either of them. I would think that might provide the means to hold it in place while not being as likely to damage it. I suspect the brake hose is more likely to be damaged than the cable housing on the other side.

In fact, some clear poly tubing (probably a Home Depot or Lowes kinda' thing) just slightly larger in inside diameter than the outside diameter of the hose would keep any pressure off the hose.

Has anybody tried that or is it a bad idea right out of the box?

#23 ·
'08 Trance X1:

Biggest complaint is that I don't get to ride it nearly enough.

Bottom bracket does seem a little low for clearance, but then again it's good for handling.

Stock grips were ditched in favor of ODI Rogues, which are awesome.

15 mm thru axle fork would be nice, but the trade off for me was that I bought my '08 new and heavily discounted at the beginning of the '09 model year, so I'll live with that, plus I still really love the color of my '08 X1

Still not 100% sure about the saddle, any suggestions?

Other than that I am very satisfied, great bike that came out of the box specced very well. Upgrades for me are going to be the "when it breaks, upgrade" approach.

#25 ·
09 X3. Only had it 3 weeks; ridden 4 times, 3 on tar road.

First ride on dirt: - front continually slipped (knobby tyre too) even on mild bends; fork harsh, some cassette gear shifts rough (even no-load).
Didn't feel balanced at all; was not pleasant to ride.

For 2nd dirt ride:- Shifted seat forward .5" and let some air from fork (guess work, not much).
Different bike to ride; hung on in corners; fork better (still little harsh I think).
Gear shifts are crap (it changes ok but even under no or minimal load is clunky; some shifts on certain gears are lovely). My last bike was a $500 Norco Bushpilot with a cheaper gear set; it changes much better. I hop lbs can fix it.

Seat is horrible - I hope my rear gets used to it.
Race tomorrow:- I'll let you know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.