Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Giddy Up!
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll start.

1. Cable routing past the rear shock (so I modified it)
2. Chunky frame welds. I think smooth welds on hydro formed frames look much nicer.

What else say you, TX owners.

Cheers

·
Registered
740 Posts
For my '08 TX1:

1. No thru-axle fork (rode an '09 X2 for a couple of days and felt the difference) - just bought a Pike to replace my stock F120RL

2. Sweet, can't think fo anything else :)

I love the way it looks (only frame I'd rather have is the all-black '08 X2)

caak, how'd you end up routing your cables to the rear? I don't find the stock routing to be an issue for me...

·
wheelie king
614 Posts
Caak - Can you show a pic of your cable mod? I agree; I don't like how the housing rubs on the rear shock. My only other beef would be that I can't install the rear wheel with the tire inflated due to the fact that the the front of the rear triangle is centered.
Otherwise, the Trance X is so cool looking and I love the way it rides.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just got an 08 black X2. In the process of upgrading a few things. The only problem I have with it so far is that it sits in my room to much. Work and school take up most of my time and with the days getting shorter its tough making it out to the trails before the sun goes down. Night rides have been a blast though!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I love my X0 and since it came with the 15mm thru axle I don't have the complaint. For me, the only issue I had was the seat post came way too long. I could adjust it for XC riding but as soon as I wanted to lower for descending it hit the bend in the seat tube. Not something a hacksaw couldn't fix.

I have noticed the cable routing past the shock but it hasn't been an issue for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
'08 TX2 here...

I don't like the odd rear shock length/stroke. Makes it hard to find a replacement. I tend to ride on the more aggresive side and want something a little beefier than the Fox Float R and have not been able to find something in the same length/stroke. I may just send my shock out to Push (or take a loan on my 401k and get a beefier bike for the gnar stuff).

Another thing I didn't like were the grips, so I switched them out to some ODIs. I also recently replaced the Raceface crankset with FSA Maximus in 170mm length. The shortened length was noticable as I'm not mashing my pedals into obstacles or the ground anymore. Less leverege for climbing though (I don't care), and not big ring (again, I don't care since I didn't use it as much before).

Otherwise, awesome bike. I love it.

·
ol' dusty lungs
210 Posts
low bb is hit or miss... great for handling, bad for pedal strike/riding over things

cable routing is odd, but so is most on other fs bikes... at least no ghost shifting

head tube is really friggin tall

interrupted seat tube

non-stock shock length

...but all of these points are minor issues... I love the way my TX rides.

·
Giddy Up!
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cable mod. (NB: Adopted)

Cheap and nasty but does the trick. :thumbsup:

1 large zip tie.
1 70mm piece of hose.

·
Registered
41 Posts
'08 X2 here also. I really like my Trance. Great all day do everything bike. I do have a question that I've tried to search in other posts, maybe I can get a few suggestions here? This problem is probably my riding or lack of riding skill but I feel the front tire wanting to 'flop' or 'wash out.' while turning. I've played with the fork settings, I have the correct air pressure in the fork (I'm 205+/- and have 100psi in the fork), I've even switched to a more aggressive tire Kenda Xcavator 2.3 The bike is stock except for the tire. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup: Sorry if I jacked the thread.

·
All fat, all the time.
10,632 Posts
'09 X2 here.

Grips were terrible, but that's minor.
Frame color option would have been sweet (like how you can choose almost any color under the sun with a Santa Cruz)...The white is growing on me, but I probably would have went with something else if I had the option.

Other than that it's really a fantastic bike.

·
Banned
1,464 Posts
Banshee Rider said:
The off-size rear shock and the fact that I can't run anything but a fox.
Weird shock length.
Low BB
No used forks are long enough...
Haven't had an issue with the cable routing.

I believe Cane Creek makes a cloud nine in the right size.

·
Unit 91
1,408 Posts
08' Trance X0 here. Liking everything about it. Although I feel like I run a crazy amount of sag, but never bottom out the shock. I am 190 with gear and normally run my RP23 at 190-205 PSI. What about you guys?

I sometimes feel to that the rear end tends to get "caught up" on uphill rock gardens and takes a bit of a heave to get over. But everything else is awesome!

I would like to see how this bike would handle if you could get a RS Monarch to fit.

Speaking of the cable housing issue...mine doesn't rub on the shock too much, but where it zip-ties to the link, the housing basically "squared" off after about a season of riding. I guess I'll be replacing housing more often.

·
Giddy Up!
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TheProphet said:
Speaking of the cable housing issue...mine doesn't rub on the shock too much, but where it zip-ties to the link, the housing basically "squared" off after about a season of riding. I guess I'll be replacing housing more often.
That is essentially the main issue with the cable routing. Cable tie wears out the brake cable housing.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.