Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this extremely unusual and wondered if anyone else has had this happen.

So I found a great deal on a seat post from Pricepoint and placed my online order. I've ordered from them a few times before but never set up an account so I did this time. I have found having an account on Jenson very helpful in reviewing past orders and getting special deals, so I thought It might be the same sort of thing with Pricepoint.

Before completing my order there was a spot for special instructions and I asked to delay shipping by a couple days because I was not going to be at the shipping address and did not want the box sitting at my front door all weekend.

Here's the weird part.

I get an email from Pricepoint saying that the billing address for my CC is not correct and to please contact them. Before sending off an email to them I checked the order and my bank online to verify I didn't make a typo or something. I order stuff online all the time and have never had this be a problem.

After sending a email with my billing address I got a response saying, "This is the address that shows when we try to put the order tourgh (sic)" and then an address I had over twenty years ago.

WTF! Now I have questions!! What kind of system are they putting the order into that brings up a 20 yr old address for me that is in no way associated with the credit card or bank that I use??

Now I am a bit leery and wondering if I've been hacked or something. So I fire off another email restating my correct billing address and offering to pay by Paypal instead if that will help. The response was that they will use the address I gave them and they do not accept Paypal. Ok, no problem. The one thing that made me feel a bit easier was that she asked when I would like them to ship based on my special instructions on my original order.

Has anyone had something like this happen. I am trying to think of what kind of file info on me has 20+ yr old info on me at a retailer's access.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
756 Posts
Did you reply back to the email or did you contact them through their website?

If you just did a reply back on the email, you might have been hacked.

I'll get emails supposedly from ebay or paypal and I'll always go on the site to respond. I got hacked years ago and was told that I bought a used Play Station from Italy for 3 times what it would have cost me locally. It got resolved, but I will never reply back directly to an email anymore.

John

John

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,926 Posts
BWWAAAA HAAAAA!

My exact thought when I read the title.

OP - Call PP on their customer service number (800) 774-2376 to ensure you did not get hacked. Social enginering is a easy thing to do. There are tons of ways to make a redirect for a website. While it is highly unlikely, you may be communicating with somebody in Russia or other places rather than PP.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My guess is that when you asked to have the order delayed it tripped a Fraud check and then they tried to verify info, then the credit/fraud verification process found the old address. Sometimes the verification is done in house and sometimes its a 3rd party.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just ordered some stuff from PricePoint a couple weeks ago, created an account in the process, and had no issues at all. I'd call them and get it worked out.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guess is that when you asked to have the order delayed it tripped a Fraud check and then they tried to verify info, then the credit/fraud verification process found the old address. Sometimes the verification is done in house and sometimes its a 3rd party.
I didn't think of this, but makes sense. The one reason why I didn't think I got hacked was because I was asked in the last correspondence when I would like the order shipped and PP were the only ones that knew I wanted a delay.

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
Weird. Are you sure the error wasn't somewhere between the keyboard and the chair? Is it possible you were on autopilot and entered an old address? Did you live at that old address for a very long time?

I have done many credit card & payments implementations, it's extremely unlikely that pricepoint could have gotten an old address from the CC company. It would have to be a bug in the Visa or Mastercard API which sent back an older billing address in the payment response.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only lived at that address for about a year in 1991-1992 and it has never been associated with the bank I deal with now at all. I double checked the address I gave when I placed the order because I use two different addresses in different states. But the info I put in was correct.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That is weird. We occasionally take credit cards at my office, but don't have a card swiper machine, so we have to get the billing address for the card. So I think billing address is key information you need to run a card without having the actual card, I would be a bit concerned.

I would probably contact Pricepoint immediately and make sure they had your order and received payment info. If they have it, you're probably fine. If not, I'd cancel the charge and the card.

Some of these schemes are pretty sophisticated and can catch you unaware. I received a call a few years back from someone claiming to be from my bank, telling me my card had been compromised. She started asking for information I thought she should have already had (mainly, my address and something else I can't remember, and I wasn't happy with her answer as to why she needed it again), so I stopped talking to her, but she seemed very professional and convincing. I called the bank after I hung up and they told me it was a scam that had been going around.

·
The Original Suspect
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so all seems well. PP has shipped my order and charged my card for the correct amount. Like someone said, I may have thrown up a red flag when I asked to delay shipment.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glad that worked out OP. Price Point has worked out great for me when I have ordered from them and this had me questioning whether I should use them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts