Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys newbe here on this forum. not too new to the forum idea though. just recently got back into MTB and was wonder if any of you jam to some music on your ipod or what not and if you do whats some songs u like

·
Hoosier
442 Posts
Not while actually out riding. The quiet and sounds of nature are one of my favorite things about mountain biking. When I'm training at the gym I just try to stick to anything upbeat, specifically Justice, Dizzee Rascal, Los Campesinos, Deftones, etc. Also, riding without headphones allows me to be more aware of hikers and other bikers on the trail.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
i think its healthy to disconnect from high tech sometimes.. i cant imagine riding with an ipod.

if its your thing.. hey cool, whatever.. but please keep it low enough to hear oncoming traffic and keep yourself safe!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Breaking Benjamin, Rise Against, and some other songs by various artists. I like all forms of music from motown era stuff to death metal, but when it comes to riding I have to actually be able to visualize myself pumping through tracks listening to the stuff. If I can't do it, the song doesn't make it to my play list. Out of 14,542 songs on my third hard drive, only 51 are on my riding playlist.

But yeah, those first two artists occupy 23 slots out of 51. That's just my personal preference though. I only take my ipod out on days where I'm riding more flat and wide open fire roads and doing sprints/training. When it comes to actually hitting the DH tracks it stays tucked away. Always good to have a little more motivation in some instances.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I used to listen to music a lot but now it doesn't really do anything to me, unless it is a live performance.

On a bike, I listen to the bike and whatever is - or is not - around me.

I don't watch much TV nowadays either. Maybe I feel that I might drown in the the flood of "media".

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Dream Threater is where it's at. Those guys can play and that's an understatement. I don't take an ipod out of the trail and if I did I would only wear one headphone/ ear bud. I like being aware of my surroundings and how my tires are reacting to the surface. On a long fire road day an mp3 player would be a fantastic idea or a slow training day. If I did "jam" it would be to Metallica, Chimaira, Mudvayne, Dream Theatre, Soilwork, but that sort of music would have to be on an intense training day. For a slow day like I mentioned earlier I would have to have matching music.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't listen to music, but I do keep an ear phone in.. I never know when work is going to call me with some stupid question. So I keep it plugged into my phone, which stays in my bag. That way, I don't harrass people with a loud ringer in the middle of nowhere, just at worst, me talking for 25 seconds to myself.

I do listen to books on tape though, on my way into work. Helps pass the time, and I can hear over them very well.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm always just worried about other bikers trying to pass me, and with the music up, I'd never know.

I'm not exactly the fastest guy out there sometimes, so I try and be respectful for those that'd like to pass.

So, I only listen to music when I'm pretty sure that the trail is relatively dead. In that case, I listen to tons of stuff. I'll listen to anything from jazz to death metal. No pop, no country are my rules.

Some of my favorite stuff is Deftones, Sevendust, Between the Buried and Me, NIN, Muse, but then I'll also listen to Eminem, Ludacris, Nas, Fettes Brot, but I'll also listen to tons of Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Buddy Rich, even some Johnny Cash, some techno, drum and bass, etc. Gotta have a wide range of music in life!

All 60GB of my Creative Zen are filled up with music.

On the flipside, sometimes it's nice just hearing the bike and the wind (and sometimes the dumb squirrels or rabbits that decide to run into the trail)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Anyone that is over 25 years old that listens to music on their bikes raise their hands. .....crickets chirping......

I wouldn't think of listening to music while biking. I have my best ideas while on my bike,and music would only hinder those ideas. I've thought about it once of twice on long dirt-road XC voyages,but I like the sound of wheels and my thoughts.

This is coming from someone who owns over 3,000 music albums,and owns and plays three guitars.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lots of good points here... I can definitely see both sides to this discussion. I like to take the iPod when I'm out for a long ride on a trail I've ridden many times. But if I'm doing a new trail for the first time or a tough technical trail, I leave the iPod at home.

I listen to trance and EBM. The rhythms keep me going strong!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.