Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not entirerly new to mountain biking but ive had to learn everything on my own. I like riding by myself and what not. so i never really learned what equipment other than a bike i need to hit the trails. do bike shorts help, are they necessary if so what are a good inexpensive pair for a guy with a 40/42 in waist. what else should i look into getting for trail ridding. thanks guys

·
Underskilled
4,816 Posts
Good wicking shirt, i fully recommend bamboo fibre for wicking stuff.
Woks better than anything i have tried, really soft and keeps you cool.

Most big cyclists wear lycra shorts with baggies over the top.
I tend to overheat so just baggies for me.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
I agree that bike shorts are very nice and no problems wearing them under baggy shorts. I wear mine under running shorts. I like the running shorts because they are light and roomy but short in length so the leg opening does not catch on my knee as I am peddling. I have had issues with other shorts doing this.

Shirts, I will wear light cotton t-shirts or usually a wicking shirt. You can find Starter brand stuff at WalMart pretty cheap and they work decently.

Here is a good place to find shorts/shirts/jerseys for big folk at not too bad prices....http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/bikeshorts.htm#

·
Registered
468 Posts
I really like Hoss Ponderosa shorts. they run a bit small so order a size larger than you anticipate. The outer baggy is lightweight and stays out of the way when riding, yet looks fine to wear around if you can't change into something else quickly. The liner with chamois is great. I definitely recommend shorts with the padding/chamois. I often also wear bib tights when it's cold and a pair of really lightweight cargos over them. It works well for me. A bit off topic, but get some chamois creme if you are riding for extended periods of time. It really cuts down on the chafing!

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
I usually do the tights, as they do help regulate heat better than baggies and don't get hung up on the saddle.

I've not had much luck with any brand besides Pearl Izumi.
Even the biggest Hoss's didn't fit me
I'm 6'6", 265 and 38/40" waist but 25-26" thighs.

Good PI tights are my fav and no plumbers crack.

I have 2 pair for their baggie shorts and wear them on colder days.

Check out Mechanix wear gloves. They're padded and come in XXL.Breathe well and last long.

·
Registered
550 Posts
eokerholm said:
I usually do the tights, as they do help regulate heat better than baggies and don't get hung up on the saddle.

I've not had much luck with any brand besides Pearl Izumi.
Even the biggest Hoss's didn't fit me
I'm 6'6", 265 and 38/40" waist but 25-26" thighs.

Good PI tights are my fav and no plumbers crack.

I have 2 pair for their baggie shorts and wear them on colder days.

Check out Mechanix wear gloves. They're padded and come in XXL.Breathe well and last long.
I wear baggies and a shirt that wicks. It works great for me. However, some of the trails I ride require me to dismount. Tights is an interesting option. I dislike how baggies get hung up on the front of the saddle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've had great luck with Performance brand bibs in XL and XXL. I much prefer bibs to shorts, as they stay up and offer some "gut support" as I like to call it. I'm a 40/42 waist, but my thighs are quite large and that makes shorts/pants fit a tough one. I've stuck with Zoic shorts (just the shell/outer) for the last few years because the adjustable waist and plenty of room in the legs/thigh.

As for shirts, I pick up some wicking t's when I see them on sale at REI, Dicks, or the host of other local outdoors type shops. Every now and then I find a cycling specific jersey that fits, but that's an exception to the rule.

·
Mac & Jacks African Amber
103 Posts
Old Navy Cargo Shorts. Holds my ID and Phone secure. Not near as expensive as dedicated biking cargos. Adidas soccer training top. Indoor soccer shoes.

Clydes generate more torque.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ditto on the cargo shorts.I'm fond of the "Camo" shorts from sears for around $20.Cheap,and they take a beating.They actually hold up better than most of the mountain bike specific shorts I've tried for three times the price.

·
turtles make me hot
11,665 Posts
I bounce back and forth between a pair of Sugino (or whatever they're called) tight bike shorts and a pair of baggy Humvees in XXL. I have a 40" waist.
For a shirt, I use Duluth Trading's performance T. It looks like a regular T shirt, but it's a wicking shirt. They're pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you can find Hoss Rustler shirts (Jenson USA had them for like $7 a piece), they are great shirts to wear. Relaxed cut and look enough like a normal shirt that I wear them all the time and get compliments. They are also long enough to cover your backside so if you aren't wearing bibs you won't be showing the world your crack.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
4,135 Posts
On hot, dry, days I wear a cotton tshirt.. otherwise just a wicking shirt and a pair of cargo shorts. When it's cooler I'll bust out an old pair of bdu pants and a long sleeve shirt or a hoodie. Longer rides I might wear a pair of chamois, I really like my pearl izumi's.. but rarely wear them under ~20mi or so since I'm too cheap to buy another pair.

edit: btw, a cotton shirt, in the desert say under 15% humidity does get wet and stay wet.. and acts like you're wearing a swamp cooler.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Cotton will get wet and stay wet - it is just not a good material for cycling. You can grab a sweat-wicking tee from Marshall's or TJ Maxx for $9.99 (they have ton's of brands to choose from: nike, adidas, champion, layer8, etc...). Invest in a mid range pair of bib-shorts (around $100), they will last you years and give exceptional performance. You can through any nylon short over them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I find that bike shorts do make a difference in chafe.

As a Clyde Lite, I avoid the road bikie sprayed-on look. No lycra. It looks great on 18 yr old ecto-meso. That was 60 years back. There is more of me now and I enjoy a looser fit in clothing.

I like the HOSS cargo shorts. I can get them in XXL (40 waist) from Price Point. In fact, just got another set. Since the shorts with chamois is the underwear, take a tip from the wife - panty liners. They work just fine.

I find the wicking shirts work and I scout Ross Dress for Less for golf shirts. I have a number of their wicking golf polos and they work great. Normal price was around $8.

Another item that works well is a reflective safety shirt, long or short sleeve. I get mine from SafetyDepot.com. They run about $13.

I have a Pearl Iz. long sleeve jersey that I wear as a windbreaker. On cold days (in So Cal) it's a Patagonia caprilene pull over, lime green Pearl jersery over, and if more is needed, a light windbreaker from NorthFace. Got that at their factory outlet at the Woodburn Exit in Oregon (no sales tax).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.