Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
T shirt, or dri fit T with padded undershorts and baggys.
If I'm making a store run, whatever I happen to be wearing at the time.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Whatever fits the weather.

+ helmet and gloves.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
Depends on the weather. If warm, then nylon/poly hiking shorts and a wicking t-shirt. Synthetic boxers. I never wear cotton for sports- it gets too wet and then stays wet.

·
Enthusiast
5,360 Posts
If we're talking really casual, like a ride with my son around the neighborhood, I just hop on the bike in whatever I'm wearing at the time. Ditto for when I need to run an errand in town. And sometimes in the evening I will have time to sneak in 6-8 mile ride starting from home. I might not bother to change for that either.

Generally though, I wear baggies with a padded liner, and a t-shirt when I'm out riding the trails.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Baggy shorts with padded liner and cycle or running T-shirt , as said before no cotton tops they stay wet and like denim jeans the chafe :)
wet weather base layers and water proof breathable cycling jacket shorts under long cycle pants , and always helmet and gloves

·
Who is the Drizzle?
51 Posts
I usually wear basketball or "sport" shorts. They're loose, light and work well for casual riding. I also try to stay away from cotton shirts, adidas makes good shirts for sports.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I wear tri shorts (light padding) under bball shorts and a wicking tshirt.

Or, if i'm going somewhere, whatever i'm going to wear...

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
For anything above a short commute I wear a lycra padded liner under baggy shorts, wicking T-shirt, and gloves. It gets very hot and sweaty where I live so you don't want sweat and moisture clinging to you or soaking your clothes.

I always wear a helmet, even for a short trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Really?...helmets for a short trip to the store? Guess what buddy, that bike helmet ain't gonna' help you much if you get smacked by 2 tons of rolling steel. You'll just look silly as they're rolling you into the ambulance.

"Let slip the dogs of war"...'cause I know you helmet Nazis are gonna bring it.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
maddabe said:
bike helmet ain't gonna' help you much if you get smacked by 2 tons of rolling steel.
I only got smacked by about 1 ton of rolling steel and plastic. That did not hurt. Landing on the pavement did, a little. I did not land on my head.

·
responsible zombie owner
654 Posts
>>>Really?...helmets for a short trip to the store? Guess what buddy, that bike helmet ain't gonna' help you much if you get smacked by 2 tons of rolling steel.

Helmets aren't designed to withstand high speed collisions with cars. That doesn't make them useless, and even short trips have hazards. A short trip to the store can be more dangerous than a long trail ride.

Check out

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=111566

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
maddabe said:
Really?...helmets for a short trip to the store? Guess what buddy, that bike helmet ain't gonna' help you much if you get smacked by 2 tons of rolling steel. You'll just look silly as they're rolling you into the ambulance.

I wear my helmet for short trips. There are many situations where it could help. If a car is going about 50km/h in a subdivision, i think the helmet would still improve my chances. What if the car mirror just clips your handlebar, and you fall to the pavement? No huge impact from the car it self, but if i go down, i want something between my head and the pavement.

If you don't want to wear your helmet, that's fine. But, you don't need to laugh at those who do chose to wear one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
maddabe said:

even trolls wear helmets. get with the times :skep:

·
jalopy jockey
551 Posts
super casual errant type ride what ever I'm in. for like taking thge kids to a close park or gettinga 6 pack, returning library books etc.

Causal ride, like meeting the wife for lunch on my vacation day last week. or larger destination trips with the kids over 5-10 miles. Baggies and a loose fit performance T. I have few with printing so they look like real T shirts. I'll even wear these when its muggy even when not on the bike.

Thats about how my kids dress too, then again the only thing that would have made my 4 year look more like a real racer his last kids race, would have been no training wheels or an actual team jersey. He wanted his full gear for the race, gloves, shades, mini mule, spandex shorts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.