Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
I think the chances that your cog can run disc brakes is pretty solid. If you have an aluminum flight, I'm going to guess finding a rear disc hub will be a bit of a *****.

If I were you, and I'm not, I'd slap down scratch for a decent fork and do a whole bike upgrade before going and buying a mediocre new bike. Awesome old bike v. meh new bike...

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Many V-brakes are an upgrade over those disc brakes and I wouldn't want that fork. I would keep what you've got and maybe upgrade a few things if the money is really burning a hole in your pockets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yup my xtr and single digit 7 V brakes are superior to all the entry level discs I have tried on other bikes. (other than in very wet conditions, discs are pretty awesome for that).

I also vote upgrade what you have in your position.

·
Ovaries on the Outside
4,424 Posts
Sparticus said:
Don't listen to these bung holes, arp. Take it from a fellow aarp member... get that shiny new 29er. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! You'll be helping the economy, too.

--ssParty
Yeah, and your shiny new 29er went and got rusty.

Steel is real... corrosive.

·
Registered
835 Posts
mack_turtle said:
I can't get enough of my 26 cog. i replaced a lot of the stock parts on it and put BB7s on it. If I was really in the mood for a 29er, I would no doubt just get a 29er Flite Cog.
I just got back from a weekend biking trip on which my 29er Flight Monocog outperformed my wildest expectations. Damn thing climbed, descended, and handled like a total pro. IMO, that would be the upgrade to make.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,322 Posts
Godless Communist said:
I just got back from a weekend biking trip on which my 29er Flight Monocog outperformed my wildest expectations. Damn thing climbed, descended, and handled like a total pro. IMO, that would be the upgrade to make.
Yeahbutt you're a Godless Communist. Who's going to believe you?

Just sayin'.

--sParty

·
Registered
12,697 Posts
arp1500 said:
mack, how old is your 26er and what did it end up costing you to put the disc on
I have the 2010 model and putting the brakes on cost me $25.

it's hard to say how much it realistically cost because I did a lot of wheeling and dealing to get it the way it is. I was working at a bike shop at the time, so my Surly fork was a cheap employee purchase. I acquired the BB7s by purchasing some used hydro disc brakes from someone for $25 then traded them with a friend for this BB7s and some Speed Dial levers. I also bought some Mavic rims as an EP and laced them to the RL hubs with double-butted spokes, and traded some parts for some SPD pedals and a Thomson post. I put my old Chris King headset on it. the only thing left to swap out is the heavy cranks and maybe the bars. after that, i know i'll want a lighter frame, but i don't know if i'll want to give up my cog frame.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.