Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided I'm getting some 29er, and I rode this one today along with a Scott Scale Team and a Trek X-Caliber. The SL 2 was a closeout and $300 cheaper than the scale and even more than the X-Cal.

That being said I liked it, but i still don't have a great reference point. I thought the bike felt decently light, like a good starting point. I was hesitant to move up from a 26er, and I really just want to make sure I'm not buying something with a granny frame, and it was tough to tell much about this one from riding in the parking lot.

Components look good, although I haven't found much about the RST Deuce fork, but what I've read I think it'll do me good. This fork has adjustable rebound and a nice lockout.

Give it to me straight!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How would this compare to a flash 3 which. I may be able to find used for a bit more?

This is my first 29er and I like trails both rougher and fast ones. I likejumping around and cornering and just being outgoing / rambunctious on the bike.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If it were me, I look at big components first... frame and fork. I'm assuming all the above bikes have aluminum frames. It's a matter of personal preference on the geometry to pick a favorite. Get a test ride on each bike. The Scott and the Trek are pretty popular bikes and you most definitely won't be buying a bike with a "granny frame".

Xcal comes with a Reba. The Scott comes with a Tora. The SL 2 comes with a RST Deuce. After a cursory glance it's clear that the component package on the Xcal is better than the SL2 and the Scott.

So, if I was buying the bike... it'd be X-cal first, then Scott, then the SL2. I'd assume they're priced that way as well.

As always, buy the bike with the best local bike shop support, and buy the bike that you like the best. It sounds like the X-cal is the most expensive (as it should be) and the SL 2 is cheapest (also correct).

Have you thought about building up a 29'er from your 26'er? Sounds like for the money you're looking at you could buy a decent set of wheels and a frame/fork... niner emd 9's are selling for 365 bucks on Jensonusa. . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.