Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned on buying an RM Switch in Feb, but due to me switching jobs and taking a hit in pay I just can't drop that kinda cash right now. I was pretty bummed, but I started looking at the RM Flow and I gotta say that I really like this bike. I'm looking at the flow 1.0 model and I plan on ordering it next week. I plan on using it to practice my dirt jumping skills, and I'll use it on the days I can't make it to the trails to ride around the neighborhood and play around. It seems like It'd be a solid, fun bike. I was also in the market for a bike to make my 4 mile commute to work on when it gets warm, and this might even fit that bill as well. Do any of you guys own a Flow? How do you like it? I'm curious to hear from some people that own one. Thanks in advance for any replies.

·
Banned
553 Posts
That Flow is essentially the same bike set-up my god-son uses to ride "north shore" type trails. Think his fork has a little more travel though. But he runs a knobby on the front and one of them semi-slick type thingys on the back. The one draw back is that it's a real small frame, (like the one pictured) so he can't get the seat up high enough for proper leg extension for the ride up the mtn.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think you should save up for the Switch...getting the Flow is a good idea if you're passion is DJ'ing but other than that it's a bad idea. The geometry is not ideal for commuting to work and a full susp. bike is gonna be way nicer on the trails...getting the flow seems like a poor compromise. Back in 2002 I wanted a Switch (my LBS had one for $2500) but I really wanted to get riding so I settled for a RM Edge (LBS for $1800) which was a great bike but it wasn't the best fit for my style of riding and I really wished I'd just have saved up another paycheque and got the bike I really wanted since you're going to have it for a long time.

Just be patient and you can pick up a Switch frame or complete bike for an afforadable price. Used Switch frames sometimes go for as little as $300 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=130038839730&rd=1&rd=1

or you can buy a last years model for about 50% off. I've seen complete Switches for $1200 new. Just keep an eye open online for a sweet sale on a last years model.

Anyways, I don't mean to be all negative...If your riding style has changed then go for the Flow but if you dream of bombing down knarly trails and hitting drops etc then couple hundered bucks you saved by getting the wrong bike isn't going to be a great decision when you look back on it. Buy a cheap Wal-Mart bike to commute on and then scour the web for a Switch that's in your price range...tell us what budget you're working with and I'll find you a Switch.

·
Banned
553 Posts
OTOH, out of a group of 7 riders shuttling Cypress last summer I was the only one on a dualie. They all probably had at least a 130mm fork but there are lots of hardtails on those mtns. on any given wknd. My buddy was riding his '03 19" Flow he got as a crash replacement for his '01 Reaper. 'Course, he is running dual crown Shivers on it.
I ran 2.5s Nevegals on my Alex 20s ok and the '07 Flow has Alex 24s........................

Blast from the past, '03 Flow..............

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dandurston said:
I think you should save up for the Switch...getting the Flow is a good idea if you're passion is DJ'ing but other than that it's a bad idea. The geometry is not ideal for commuting to work and a full susp. bike is gonna be way nicer on the trails...getting the flow seems like a poor compromise. Back in 2002 I wanted a Switch (my LBS had one for $2500) but I really wanted to get riding so I settled for a RM Edge (LBS for $1800) which was a great bike but it wasn't the best fit for my style of riding and I really wished I'd just have saved up another paycheque and got the bike I really wanted since you're going to have it for a long time.

Just be patient and you can pick up a Switch frame or complete bike for an afforadable price. Used Switch frames sometimes go for as little as $300 on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MESE:IT&viewitem=&item=130038839730&rd=1&rd=1

or you can buy a last years model for about 50% off. I've seen complete Switches for $1200 new. Just keep an eye open online for a sweet sale on a last years model.

Anyways, I don't mean to be all negative...If your riding style has changed then go for the Flow but if you dream of bombing down knarly trails and hitting drops etc then couple hundered bucks you saved by getting the wrong bike isn't going to be a great decision when you look back on it. Buy a cheap Wal-Mart bike to commute on and then scour the web for a Switch that's in your price range...tell us what budget you're working with and I'll find you a Switch.
Even if I got the Switch right away though, I'd still be in the market for a bike I can ride around the neighborhood to trick around with, and to take to the local skate/bike park. I won't be bringing the flow to the DH mountains, but maybe by summer I can get my Switch. It's not really a compromise for me to get the Flow though. I'd rather have the Switch first, Flow second but after throwing around 5 g's into my XC rig and switching jobs I'm friggin tapped lol. In a way though me gettin the Flow almost seems like a better idea because on the days I don't feel like making the 25 minute drive to the trails I always find myself wishing I had a bike for the streets to just pedal outta my garage and have some fun. As for the commuting part though, I agree the Flow would be a bad choice but my commute is like 7 mins on bike so that's not an issue for me. I could ride a tricycle there if I had to. My budget's like a grand now, so if you know of anyone selling a switch for around that price then definitely keep me posted. Thanks for the reply Dan.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Ice25gt said:
My budget's like a grand now, so if you know of anyone selling a switch for around that price then definitely keep me posted.
A grand is a bit tight for a Switch...you'd probably have to go used or find a shop blowing out a 04 or 05 model. Here's a used 04 Switch on eBay that you may get for a grand:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocky-Mountain-...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220078142024

Or you might be able to pick up this frame/fork/seat package for well under a grand and complete it with some cheap parts or a wheelset you have kicking around for a temporary fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Rocky-Moun...DVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190079788459

You might be able to low-ball this guy who's asking $1600 OBO for an 05 Switch SL and get it for closer to grand.
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/214930/

Or there's a few older Switch's that are around or under a grand (some are nice like the Richie Schley edition one):

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/227516/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/227693/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/228028/
http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/228648/

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm definitely gonna just go new on the Switch. I'll pick up the Flow next week and maybe in June or July grab the Switch. I hate to buy used stuff. I like the look of this years Switch also. I'm gonna go for the white with the 66 fork. Thanks for your help though Dan, I definitely appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yeah I totally understand...I'd be really hesitant buy used for a freeride bike as well. The newer (06, 07) Switches have a 3 year warrentee now (instead of 1) which is really nice for peace of mind.

·
mtbnj.com
414 Posts
I know this is A RM board and all, but Ice, you may want to consider some other options before you go for a Flow. Im a bit taller than you, and I was riding a large Flow, and I feel unless you are absolutely using it for its intended purpose, it may not be the right choice. I would suggest something like a Santa Cruz chameleon, run it with an adjustable fork, maybe like a 1x9, that way, you can lower the fork for your commute, you can actually pedal in the saddle, and if you feel the need to go urban or hit the dirt jumps at Allaire, raise the fork, drop the saddle and go nuts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I love my flow.

04 flow, It`s my urban assualt vehicle of choice. I`m 6'5" 311lbs and 40. Call me crazy...
Indiana only had a couple of places that sold them. I had to drive 3 hrs. too pick my frame up. I did a buildup of a dreambike. I wanted something that was not going to snap to easily. Here it is we are heading into the end of winter 07 and I cannot wait to get rolling again(not a great person in COLD weather).Anyways I`m ramblin.
I started with an 18" frame. Marz. Z150. Got your adjustable height right here! Some RF products like the Diabolus cranks, bar and stem. Sram drivetrain powered by XO(with special mention to Shimano.....XT frnt. Der. still on there). The wheels are my pride. Scott from ICS built these for me. HUGI freeride hubs with alpine3 spokes Mavic 789. switched between my kRads and my Monsters for some great riding. Was thinking about getting the beast out of hibernation and give it some TLC soon. I have to get my pics off the disc and show her off.

With consideration. I looked at many bikes b4 I picked. You seem to have a good grasp on usage of this type of bike. Even the general commute. This is my only bike right now. So it does everything i need it to. I do like some of the other suggestions made. Such as the Chameleon. I`m getting that itch everybody else has satisfied, I might just build one of them there single speed. Santa Cruz, Surly. Cove is nice. Dony know too much about. Kona also.
The one thing that really grabbed me about the RM flow was the toptube length. Correct me if I`m wrong. But in the species of DJ type bikes. The Flow had one of the longer cockpits. Another fun bike of the RM stable is the Blizzard. 07 is the perfect color(or lack of color...lol) Back in Black........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.