Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Been doing some research into a new wheelset for my ride... For this ride I'm looking for smooth rolling light weight don't have to take alotta beatin' hubs.

At the moment , Hope Pro 2 hubs seem good to me. Good price. Seem to get good reviews... Maybe the Tune disc hubs ( But y know they're $$) I'm looking for a little color with durability and smoothness....CK maybe too heavy (for this ride) and $$$

But, with all the engagement points on these type of hubs, I'm wondering is it slows them down by creating more internal friction... or does it make any difference? Anyone know?

And back to the original question... What hubs do you guys think are really smooth / will keep spinning and spinning?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
Shimano's XT or XTR

XT is a tad heavy, but they spin. That spin you are talking about has mostly to do with bearing friction and seals. The prawl engagement points or ring drive ala Chirs King is not an issue compared the bearing friction.

What I have found in and out of the bike arena is that the longer spinning bearings are more prown to environmental hazards/contamination. So, a hub may spin for a long time on the stand, but you will be cleaning those bearings a lot more in a dusty or wet area to maintain that spin. Also different bearings act different under load. A bearing (hub) my spin well on the stand, but when you ride the bike it doesn't roll as well as say a fully sealed, tight toloerace bearing.

To be honest, you maybe "over analyzing" the importance of the hub's spin. Your tires rolling resistance is more of an issue.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I love my Hope Pro2's... strong, beautiful, good engagement, simple to work on. That said, I think my XTR hubs are smoother.

I also agree with ziscwg that tire choice is much bigger factor than hubs as far as rolling resistance goes.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
daisycutter said:
hadley hubs 75pt simpliy the best whem price and performance are considered
Agree. I have both the Hopes and the Hadleys and the Hadleys win hands-down in the smoothness department. Plus, they have 72 pts of engagement, are quieter than Hopes, and spin for days.

Kings, Phil, and I9 are also nice, but considerably more $$$.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hadley: 72pt with 2 deg and less expensive than CK. Very solid build quality. I am running them on my geared bike and am in the process of having a wheel built using one of their single speed hubs for my new bike.

·
wants a taco
498 Posts
if you want smooth id say it would be hard to beat the dt 190's if you can swing it...if not my 240's bearings feel smoother than the kings and I9's weve had through the shop.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! Hmmm DT 190... Will check it out.

About rolling resistance. I've tried different tires at different PSI on all sorts of terrain, and know what you're talking about. But, while I'm thinking up a nice pair of wheels for commuting / off roading on my Yeti 575, I want to get the smoothest hubs and go from there. Maybe, I am over thinking the whole thing.... But wanna get your guys input since I really haven't had that much experience with nice wheel sets .

Oh yeah.... anyone try the Tune King / Kong 's out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts