Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think of this bike? its a brand I never heard of, but it looks like a nice bike, a little weird though, tell me what ya think.

2004 Fastrax COYOTE F3 DH

*COLOR: Yellow/Black,
*TUBING:EASTON 7005 Super Down Hill . ALUMINUM ALLOY ,
*FORK: Meeks 151mm Full Carbon Fork (MADE IN USA),
*REAR SHOCK: Fox Vanilla Down Hill Coil shock
*HEADSET: Neco,
*SPOKES:MAVIC Dee Max Down Hill
*RIMS:MAVIC Dee Max Down Hill
*Front Wheel Hub: Mavic Dee Max Down Hill
*Rear Wheel Hub: Mavic Dee Max Down Hill
*TIRES: Kenda 26x2.35 Down Hill Tires
*SHIFTER: Shimano LX Rapid Fire,
*FRONT DERAILLEUR:Shimano LX SL-M570
*REAR DERALILLEUR: SHIMANO LX-RD M570,
*CASSETTE:SRAM 7.0
*CHAIN:Shimano LX CN-HG73,
*CRANKSET: Shimano Deore/LX FC-M510,
*BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Deore/LX BB-ES30
*SEAT POST:ALLOY,
*SADDLE: Selle Success Gel
*HANDLEBAR: JBC POR Down Hill
*HANDLEBAR Stem: Funn Down Hill
*Grips/Bar Tape:Sporting PVC
*BRAKE: Armor Hydralic Disc Brake Set,
*BRAKE LEVERS: Hydralic Disc Brake Set,
*PEDALS: Alloy,
 

Attachments

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
That's an odd mix of stuff.

oreo321321 said:
what do you guys think of this bike? its a brand I never heard of, but it looks like a nice bike, a little weird though, tell me what ya think.

2004 Fastrax COYOTE F3 DH

*COLOR: Yellow/Black,
*TUBING:EASTON 7005 Super Down Hill . ALUMINUM ALLOY ,
*FORK: Meeks 151mm Full Carbon Fork (MADE IN USA),
*REAR SHOCK: Fox Vanilla Down Hill Coil shock
*HEADSET: Neco,
*SPOKES:MAVIC Dee Max Down Hill
*RIMS:MAVIC Dee Max Down Hill
*Front Wheel Hub: Mavic Dee Max Down Hill
*Rear Wheel Hub: Mavic Dee Max Down Hill
*TIRES: Kenda 26x2.35 Down Hill Tires
*SHIFTER: Shimano LX Rapid Fire,
*FRONT DERAILLEUR:Shimano LX SL-M570
*REAR DERALILLEUR: SHIMANO LX-RD M570,
*CASSETTE:SRAM 7.0
*CHAIN:Shimano LX CN-HG73,
*CRANKSET: Shimano Deore/LX FC-M510,
*BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Deore/LX BB-ES30
*SEAT POST:ALLOY,
*SADDLE: Selle Success Gel
*HANDLEBAR: JBC POR Down Hill
*HANDLEBAR Stem: Funn Down Hill
*Grips/Bar Tape:Sporting PVC
*BRAKE: Armor Hydralic Disc Brake Set,
*BRAKE LEVERS: Hydralic Disc Brake Set,
*PEDALS: Alloy,
Never heard of it. What the heck is a Meeks fork? I think I'd let someone else be the guinea pig on that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
798 Posts
Yeah i'd say interesting for sure... It has some tried and true parts, the wheel-set is top of line, nutty looking single pivot design... My 02? unless your getting it for a steal I'd stick to somthing better know for a couple reasons. like who will have parts for that beast locally when you need it? 2 why guniea pig it it? your risking your a$$... the ride will tell though, I suggest finding and trying it out
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
oreo321321 said:
*FRONT DERAILLEUR:Shimano LX SL-M570
*CRANKSET: Shimano Deore/LX FC-M510,
Anyone else notice this? I don't even see where a front mech would mount on this frame...Sounds fishy. Unless you're buying this from someone you know I'd guess this is a scam.

Drew
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Wait a sec...Fox DH shock?

oreo321321 said:
what do you guys think of this bike? its a brand I never heard of, but it looks like a nice bike, a little weird though, tell me what ya think.

2004 Fastrax COYOTE F3 DH

*COLOR: Yellow/Black,
*TUBING:EASTON 7005 Super Down Hill . ALUMINUM ALLOY ,
*FORK: Meeks 151mm Full Carbon Fork (MADE IN USA),
*REAR SHOCK: Fox Vanilla Down Hill Coil shock
*HEADSET: Neco,
*SPOKES:MAVIC Dee Max Down Hill
*RIMS:MAVIC Dee Max Down Hill
*Front Wheel Hub: Mavic Dee Max Down Hill
*Rear Wheel Hub: Mavic Dee Max Down Hill
*TIRES: Kenda 26x2.35 Down Hill Tires
*SHIFTER: Shimano LX Rapid Fire,
*FRONT DERAILLEUR:Shimano LX SL-M570
*REAR DERALILLEUR: SHIMANO LX-RD M570,
*CASSETTE:SRAM 7.0
*CHAIN:Shimano LX CN-HG73,
*CRANKSET: Shimano Deore/LX FC-M510,
*BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano Deore/LX BB-ES30
*SEAT POST:ALLOY,
*SADDLE: Selle Success Gel
*HANDLEBAR: JBC POR Down Hill
*HANDLEBAR Stem: Funn Down Hill
*Grips/Bar Tape:Sporting PVC
*BRAKE: Armor Hydralic Disc Brake Set,
*BRAKE LEVERS: Hydralic Disc Brake Set,
*PEDALS: Alloy,
I don't see a piggyback on there, and I don't think it's obscurred by that frame member. Looks like at best it's a Vanilla R. There's a few items on the list that are just plain suspicious. Where/who is this bike from, as far as the ability to purchase it?
 

·
noMAD man
Joined
·
12,220 Posts
Could it use an E-bracket?

Dreamerof1 said:
Anyone else notice this? I don't even see where a front mech would mount on this frame...Sounds fishy. Unless you're buying this from someone you know I'd guess this is a scam.

Drew
Still, as Phil Liggett would say, "the whole thing sounds rather dodgey!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
TNC said:
Still, as Phil Liggett would say, "the whole thing sounds rather dodgey!"
Yeah, 'cept that's a single ring w/ no mech.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,611 Posts
Dreamerof1 said:
Yeah, 'cept that's a single ring w/ no mech.
They call it a DH bike, so I guess they mean "downhill." Dedicated DH bikes have only one ring without a front derailleur, so there's nothing fishy about that. Listing a front derailleur on the parts list is dubious.

The frame and odd mix of parts though seems like a Wal-Mart special. I bet a Taiwanese bike manufacturer's Spec guy got a good deal on a bunch of DeeMax wheels.

Here's a pic of a proven DH design with one ring/no front derailleur:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Nat said:
They call it a DH bike, so I guess they mean "downhill." Dedicated DH bikes have only one ring without a front derailleur, so there's nothing fishy about that. Listing a front derailleur on the parts list is dubious.
Well GGGOOOOLLLLLEEEEEE! Thank you for clearing that up for me. I had always wondered what all those little letters meant. You know, ever since I pulled my head out of that hole for the first time in 9 years yesterday, everything has been so confusing. Here I thought DH stood for Dimpled Honeydew. Tell me...FR does stand for Feathered Rhino (trademark), right.... and if they only use one chainring, what do they do when they want to ride back up the hill??..........................Oh...I see....

All sarcasm aside, I'm very aware that it is supposed to be a downhill bike. I would just be very wary of anyone that lists an oddball assortment of parts like that, with a picture that doesn't meet up with the spec. listed. I'm sorry, but unless this bike was coming from someone I trusted, my $525 would stay right in my bank account.

~Drew

Added: Just re-read this. Wow, I wonder if I always come across this b**chy on the internet? Guess you kind of have to know my sense of humor: More smartass than malicious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,611 Posts
Dreamerof1 said:
Well GGGOOOOLLLLLEEEEEE! Thank you for clearing that up for me. I had always wondered what all those little letters meant. You know, ever since I pulled my head out of that hole for the first time in 9 years yesterday, everything has been so confusing. Here I thought DH stood for Dimpled Honeydew. Tell me...FR does stand for Feathered Rhino (trademark), right.... and if they only use one chainring, what do they do when they want to ride back up the hill??..........................Oh...I see....

All sarcasm aside, I'm very aware that it is supposed to be a downhill bike. I would just be very wary of anyone that lists an oddball assortment of parts like that, with a picture that doesn't meet up with the spec. listed. I'm sorry, but unless this bike was coming from someone I trusted, my $525 would stay right in my bank account.

~Drew
Relax ~Drew, I was agreeing with you. Breathe in..breathe out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Ain't no thing...Just a little tense right now. Tore down my XC ride in anticipation of my new frame getting here. Shipping was delayed.. :( ..haven't ridden all weekend.. :( ..guess I'm a little edgy. :eek: :eek:

~Drew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Fastrax is a Taiwaness brand.
The bike should be their 2001 or 2002 model and the fork is no way made in USA.
This is their 2004 model called F-DH. The retail price of this frame is around 700 in USD.

For a complete bike at that price is very sweet even in Taiwan. ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
Joined
·
11,694 Posts
buy it for the wheelset alone. That set is the highly covetable yellow deemax set from mavic. look at the older DH riders and they will be riding these. Consider that these were 20mm front and 10mm through axle rear and are not at all light. It also seems to have a full deoreLX groupo on it. This is a nice median groupo for a good price. You could ride it carefully as long as you keep an eye on that fork. The rear shock is good quality and durable but is probably oversprung to keep it from pogoing while you ride. Get it properly sprung and for $500 it will be a good fun bike. Just watch that fork, or better still just get another DC fork (boxxer, slider or Junior-T).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
If I could verify the spec and the reputation of the seller ...

I would order the damn thing as a build kit. I could build up a Dirtbag for under $1500.
 

·
wait a minute....
Joined
·
216 Posts
TNC said:
Never heard of it. What the heck is a Meeks fork? I think I'd let someone else be the guinea pig on that one.
Armor Hydralic Disc Brake Set,??
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top