Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys like to eat before a big race. I have my first night race tomorrw night. The race starts at 6:00pm, So I would like to have something good for Lunch.
Its going to be alot of Fun!

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
airbag said:
What do you guys like to eat before a big race. I have my first night race tomorrw night. The race starts at 6:00pm, So I would like to have something good for Lunch.
6 hours before a race--pretty much anything--just don't overdo it.
An hour or so before a race maybe a banana and a gu.

·
a dad
2,920 Posts
Cookies!!

i have retired many years ago, but i used to throw down a sh## load of chocolate chip cookies the night before a race (like a whole bag of chips ahoy). believe it or not i had great success as an expert racer in beautiful colorado.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Prerace meals

airbag said:
I start with a big plate of chorizo and eggs for breakfast washed down with coffee and OJ. Red hots and/or italian sausage for lunch. That's also when I start with the beer. About an hour before start, I stock up on chips, wings, cookies and assorted other finger foods with more beer, followed/accompanied by a dinner of burgers or steak, sometimes a fully loaded pizza to boot. And beer. More beer.

Oh wait - you're PARTICIPATING in the race? Never mind... :rolleyes:

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
What I used to do

Day before race:

Normal breakfast
Normal lunch
High carbo dinner (pasta)
Doritos, Coors Light and Gatorade - Doritos are high on sodium (retain water), beer is high on water, Gatorade for electrolites. Try 2 beers/1 gatorade ratio.
Just before bed 1/2 bottle of Pedialite
No SEX (I know, bad idea but it works)

Race Day:
Light breakfast - friut, bread, juice
2hrs before race - 1/2 bottle of Pedialite
1hr before race - fruit, fig newtons
15min before race - Gatorade

Hope this helps, it did helped me on my racing days specially for endurance kind of races.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, It was great... I had a large Pasta dish for Lunch, abut 6hrs before the race. I had some fruit about an hour before the race and I felt great. I used CytoMax (Peachey Keen) during the race, that stuff works really well. Over all I felt I had a great race, and a great time. Thanks again.
-Matt

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
within 1.5 hours... nothing

When I was a beginner, I would try to force a banana down 15 min. before the start. Eventually I'd hurl and become dehydrated.
Now, nothing solid within 1.5 hours of the start. I stop drinking 15 minutes before the start.

I like to eat a tuna fish sandwich and a banana.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts