Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've dug out of the cob-webs an old GF Utopia Hybred and added some newer parts and better tire setup and WAA LAA...I'll have a fun HT to go play around on when we can ever get on the trails again...

I put a 29x1.95 Kenda Karma LR3 Pro w/ tube on the stock WTB Speeddisc rear rim.
Put on front 29x2.1 Kenda Karma LR3 Pro tubeless on Bontrager Race Lite Rim.
Made it a 2x9 put on my old RaceFace Bash guard.
Put on my old Fizik Saddle.
Bontrager XXX Carbon bar and stem.
Ergon GX2 Carbon grips.
Crank Brothers Egg beaters.

Should be fun...might make a few other changes later.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep its a Rock Shok GPS "Metro"...LOL...you should read the reviews about it...Hilarious, from like 03/04 one guy is writting like he's an expert and saying it really wouldn't be very good off-road and for that matter doesn't understand why everyone is trying to make suspension forks...Laughed my ass off....

Hey thats one nice Bontrager seat post there...:)

Checkout those brakes too...WOW.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
What do i do?

Well....here in the western part of VA we've had snow on the ground since Dec 18,big difference from last winter where i was able to Mtnbike all winter.

I broke down and bought a indoor spin bike to ease the pain,dang thing is actually fun and gives an incredible workout.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bird...been there done that, the trainer is retired...cant do it....even in front of the TV...BORING...i'll let the legs go to hell and wait till I can get bak outside (which should be this week) I live on the south end of Baltimore and really hate the roads around here...I'll be out at BWI & BA trails soon...then Gambrill this weekend should be ridable...I'll try out the new/old bike though this week on the BWI trail...should be a real leg burner...:)

·
Registered
560 Posts
I cant ride indoors on a trainer or on a stationary, the boredom is unbearable. I work at Patuxent down by Beltsville, so I ride my road bike on the refuge roads and the backroads around the refuge. Lots of hills, little to no traffic, about 18 miles a day. But there is still no way in hell I would ever be on a road bike if dry trails existed anywhere in this state.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I visted Gambrill with the dog for a hike today...there is no way riding will be in the forecast by this weekend...DAMNIT!!!!
I'm trying to make it happen guys...give me a break okay....HAHAHAHA...I think middle of next week Im headin to Cleveland Ohio...Rays here I come!!!! Gotta go play!
Check out my flickr for a few pics I took up at Gambrill....here's one in case ya don't go to that site....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rain again? Still snow on the ground in areas and now rain on top of it. Constant puddles and mushy ground had me trying the trainer at night with not a lot of success. I got a road bike in order to try to get some base miles in and have taken that out when the roads are dry. It just doesn't seem like the ground will be given enough time to get dry, instead getting over-saturated every time. I saw puddles of standing water in the yards again today. Yesterday it had finally started to dry up! Supposed to race at Patapsco in 2.5 weeks. What's the chances of that? I haven't even ridden my SS mtb except on the road this year given all this nasty weather. Come on Summer!

·
Sweeper
1,025 Posts
mwmtb said:
Supposed to race at Patapsco in 2.5 weeks. What's the chances of that? I
The AFC Race is still on, as far as I know. If the temps warm later this week and weekend, most of snow should be gone from the ground. Except mounds.

That gives the trails a week or so to dry out to the point where rideable conditions are present. I'm not the only one, that does not see that occuring. :bluefrown:

If the organizers do not cancel the race it is going to be a trail destroying time. :nonod:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree and really hope that the organizers understand that. It's not worth it in my mind to destroy the trail just to fit a race in:madmax: . Kick it out an extra week to the rain-date to give it a little more time to solidify. Even knowing that a week wouldn't give it enough time, at least it would give it some. I'm more in favor for what Camp Hilbert race 1 did, they moved from last weekend to April 11. They postponed race 1 last year by a few weeks as well to give the trails more time to dry. This year they are changing venues so we'll see what that does. Sorry if this is hijacking the post! That's what I'm doing with this weather though, hoping that the races in the near future get pushed out in order for trails to dry more!

WeatherMan said:
The AFC Race is still on, as far as I know. If the temps warm later this week and weekend, most of snow should be gone from the ground. Except mounds.

That gives the trails a week or so to dry out to the point where rideable conditions are present. I'm not the only one, that does not see that occuring. :bluefrown:

If the organizers do not cancel the race it is going to be a trail destroying time. :nonod:

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
Edit: just saw your later post, guess you got the trail report first hand!
cableguy46 said:
.then Gambrill this weekend should be ridable
Save yourself the trip. I shot this photo tonight, at an undisclosed location on the Catoctin ridge. We've still got 1.5 - 2 ft. of snow up there. And it was snowing up there tonight!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts