Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i've got a project i'm working on that involves a '78 fuji sport 10...i want to rebuild the bike into a commuter/cyclocross bike, which of course, involves replacing a lot of the parts. it's all original...all the parts are workable, and probably restorable if i felt like putting time into it. now, i'm not counting on the sale of old parts to fund this project, but could i sell some of the old parts, on fleabay, the LBS, or at a scrap metal yard?

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,489 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
well, i've got a project i'm working on that involves a '78 fuji sport 10...i want to rebuild the bike into a commuter/cyclocross bike, which of course, involves replacing a lot of the parts. it's all original...all the parts are workable, and probably restorable if i felt like putting time into it. now, i'm not counting on the sale of old parts to fund this project, but could i sell some of the old parts, on fleabay, the LBS, or at a scrap metal yard?
I've got 5 or 6 outside my shop in the boneyard. If you want to pay to have them all shipped to you, you can have them.

My two cents, no-one will want any of the parts, and they ain't worth the gas it'll take to drive them to the scrapyard. Use what you need, and chuck the rest in your recycling box for curbside pickup. ;)

Might have been a free bike, but it has no value, unless it gives you wood, at which point, spend as much time and effort as you like, and ride the sot out of it, but it will still be worth nothing. :thumbsup:

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
I've got 5 or 6 outside my shop in the boneyard. If you want to pay to have them all shipped to you, you can have them.

My two cents, no-one will want any of the parts, and they ain't worth the gas it'll take to drive them to the scrapyard. Use what you need, and chuck the rest in your recycling box for curbside pickup. ;)

Might have been a free bike, but it has no value, unless it gives you wood, at which point, spend as much time and effort as you like, and ride the sot out of it, but it will still be worth nothing. :thumbsup:
ok cool, i might cut a few corners and re-use some of the parts then.

know where i might find a new fuji seat?

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
If you have a local shop that deals with "recycled bikes" that is always a good option. I make drop offs a couple times a year after cleaning out the workshop. Good for me, good for them, and less stuff in the landfill.

·
bonked
2,129 Posts
When I worked with David Wilson he would collect all of our worn out used parts, from spokes to frames - anything steel or aluminum and when he had enough to fill the back of his truck he would haul it to the scrap yard. The proceeds would be added to a shop 'slush' fund.

If you don't have a shop that recycles bikes, maybe see if there is a freecycle group in your area. I've managed to get rid of all sorts of things that way.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is there any good way to lighten up old steel parts without sacraficing much in the strength category?

also, and i know this topic has probably been beaten to death. is there any good way to remove storage rust? i've used coca-cola before to remove rust, but it left an uneven finish...anyone know how to use coke and get a good consistent finish?

·
16,489 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
is there any good way to lighten up old steel parts without sacraficing much in the strength category?
A drill, a beer, an hour, some creativity and a good sense of humor...

bucksaw87 said:
also, and i know this topic has probably been beaten to death. is there any good way to remove storage rust? i've used coca-cola before to remove rust, but it left an uneven finish...anyone know how to use coke and get a good consistent finish?
A wire wheel on a bench grinder, some body filler, some silver spray paint, and a weekend.....
:D ;)

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MendonCycleSmith said:
A drill, a beer, an hour, some creativity and a good sense of humor...

A wire wheel on a bench grinder, some body filler, some silver spray paint, and a weekend.....
:D ;)
so attacking some old cranks with a drill won't affect the structural integrity that much? i mean, within reason...i'm thinking like a 1/2" hole every 2 inches along the arm

·
16,489 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
so attacking some old cranks with a drill won't affect the structural integrity that much? i mean, within reason...i'm thinking like a 1/2" hole every 2 inches along the arm
I'm sorry, you apparently missed the lame attempt at humor in my note.

Bad ideas, all around. Again, you have what is in the industry, known as a turd. Why? Because no matter how hard you polish it, all you will have at days end, is a shiny turd.

Not saying throw it away, but spending any matter of time beyond pulling it apart, cleaning and repacking, would be a monumental waste of time and energy. Perhaps converting to a SS by removing shifters, derailleurs and the requisite amount of chain, would be worth it, just to lighten it up, and prevent shifting issues.

Not trying to knock you down, just level your head, and keep you from wasting endless hours to end up with a perfectly clean POS, if you like it, clean it tune it, and ride it, otherwise, junk it .

·
Neo-Retro Forever
1,576 Posts
Do not drill anything on the bike. It's dumb and you'll hurt yourself really badly.

If you want lighter parts or a lighter bike either buy lighter parts or get a lighter bike. That fuji will never be light. It'll likly be a sentimental bike for you to own, but it will never be categorized in the "performance: category. Appreciate it for what it is and put your eggs in another basket for a performance bike.

-richard

·
Visitor
781 Posts
These guys are right.

If you start drilling holes in everything you are just spending time creating something that will in the end be minmally lighter and could be a safety concern. Drilling lightening holes should be reserved for the weight weenies.

Appreciate it for what it is. Probably a nice little commuter if you clean it up and repack the bearings. Perhaps some light steel wool can help with some of the surface rust.

Good luck. When you get it cleaned up and road ready post some pictures and share the fruits of your labor.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm...
well, i never really expected it to compete with a kona jake or specialized tri-cross...i just wanted a nice project; plus the guy at the bike shop and all my old uncles were really excited about the fuji (apparently they were "teh shinzat" back in the 70's?). well thanks for the help everyone! haha, i'll keep building this turd up piece by piece...it's good for learning

·
Certified Bike Junkie
1,747 Posts
Fuji did have some nice bikes during that time. But this is obviously a lower end model. Cottered cranks, "safety brake levers", and stem mounted shifters give that up. Anything more than cleaning it up and making it ridable would be time and money misspent.

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
crap...

so...clean it up and sell it to a thrift store, and hope to recover my $15 to start back over again?

or...clean it up, put studs in the tires, use it as a winter commuter, and call it a loss?

·
16,489 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
or...clean it up, put studs in the tires, use it as a winter commuter, and call it a loss?
Yes. It's only a loss if you do that, and never ride it. Every mile not in a car, is money saved....

Don't get bummed out, just realize what you have, and don't have, and work with it accordingly. You've seemed a bit hard to talk down from the belief that you have a rare gem, which you don't. But it's a functional utility vehicle, just don't worry about weight, fancy parts, or even keeping it original. Just get it rideable, and beat the snot out of it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
bucksaw87 said:
Naval Jelly is an effective rust removal product that you can pick up at just about any hardware store. Only negative about the product is that it contains some pretty nasty chemicals.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.