Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this discussion with a co-worker the other day and wanted to hear how you guys handle it. 90% of my rides are in a state park that requires you to walk past a sign showing that your dog must be on a leash before you even enter the park. I encounter dogs off leash quite often. If the dog chases me, it goes with me until it decides to stop… I don’t hang around to find out if it is friendly or not. The only time i’ve stopped in the past is if I’m not in an area where I can ride at a good clip (and I’ve been bitten once, however it was a small dog and I wasn’t injured).

My co-worker was upset that by riding away from the owner and dog, it could result in that person losing their dog. My feeling is that I’ve got a better chance at not getting bit, by moving, rather than standing still, and if they make the conscious effort to unleash their dog, they better know how its going to react when someone rides by. Anyway, what do you do?

·
Enthusiast
5,359 Posts
I usually stop and put my bike between me and the dog. Then I might utter a good, sharp "no". Most dogs stop following me once I have left their territory in front of their house.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

·
I ride a Swarf
1,314 Posts
I am a dog owner so I can see the side of avoiding the dog getting lost, but then generally I can sense if its a bitey one or just playing....and just play it by ear. Odds are if you stop the dog will back off anyway. Small dogs are a bit mouthy at times, had one nibble by foot a bit...no harm done.

Being a dog person may help though, animals do seem to wind up people that don't like them....my dog doesn't generally give a toss about people though unless he knows them...and that's only because they have thrown his ball or their dogs ball (which he steals) in the past :)

·
membership renounced
1,437 Posts
If unable to outrun them, they usually respond to a firm "no" or "go home". I've reached down and smacked a few on the nose which stopped them in their tracks. I also carry bear spray, but haven't had to use it.

As for the poor dog owner losing their dog? Too bad. If you can't control your dog, keep it on a leash. Maybe losing the dog will teach them to keep it on a leash in the future. I'm very much a dog lover, so I would never want anything bad to happen to the animal, the owners on the other hand are a different story.

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
Leash law posted or not, owners are liable for their dogs!

I would just keep riding. If it was beside my while riding and was trying to bite, I'd have no problems kicking it away.
As far as getting the dog lost. Well too bad, the owner should have had the dog under control or on a leash. Zero sympathy on that one, especially if the dog is barking at me while riding away.
If the dog is casual and happy running alongside me and not barking, I may stop to let owner catch up. Some dogs think it's a game of catch for some reason.

·
Banned
726 Posts
First is stop, by continuing to ride you are just feeding into its natural predator instinct to chase you. Put the bike between you and it, then shout at it NO! GO AWAY! Then give the girl an ear full for not controlling her dog.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Obviously you shoot it dead with the glock you keep strapped under your saddle.

When I suggested otherwise, I was banned from MTBR by CHUM.

Oh, and its all the dogs fault. They are utterly unpredictable and all of them are vicious and deserve to be killed because aggression is their nature. It is never the owners fault. But you can kill the over too if you have ammo left after you've killed the dog. And my aunt was raped and killed by a dog while she was just walking along.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
My co-worker was upset that by riding away from the owner and dog, it could result in that person losing their dog.
Then it goes into the food chain and some animal has a meal and can raise a family. Maybe not a "win win", but definitely a "lose win" situation :)

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
First I outrun the dog, then I go back and pepper spray the idiot dog owner who doesn't control their pet. That's what I'd like to do anyway.

·
Registered
984 Posts
So how about this semi related story.... I get back from a quick 5-6 mile ride near my house on Saturday morning and am sitting on my front porch with my great Dane and black lab. Roadie goes by, looks at me and proceeds to start barking at my dogs. This irritates my dogs and they run after roadie stopping at the edge of the yard.(thank you shock collar training) I yell at roadie and flip him the bird. What an idiot! I mean who provokes a dog while on a bike? OK I'm done ranting.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I was on a ride one day in upstate NY and a pack of like 10 of these tiny dogs went nuts , except there was also one doberman. I stopped as usual as the motion tends to hype them up but the doby strolls over to me and puts his open jaws on my leg. Needless to say i was beyond freaked knowing the damage a dog can do, he was just screwing with me though. A dog with a sense of humor i guess

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
A quick tap on the nose with your foot will make any dog immediately abort chase....

·
I didn't do it
9,465 Posts
I had this discussion with a co-worker the other day and wanted to hear how you guys handle it. 90% of my rides are in a state park that requires you to walk past a sign showing that your dog must be on a leash before you even enter the park. I encounter dogs off leash quite often. If the dog chases me, it goes with me until it decides to stop… I don’t hang around to find out if it is friendly or not. The only time i’ve stopped in the past is if I’m not in an area where I can ride at a good clip (and I’ve been bitten once, however it was a small dog and I wasn’t injured).
For the most part I do just what you do - keep riding. Sometimes the dog will get in front of me a bit and since I'm such a nice guy I try to avoid the dog. However at the first hint of aggression the proverbial gloves come off, i.e. the dog is getting kicked. This has happened only a handful of times and I always try to avoid getting to this point.

My co-worker was upset that by riding away from the owner and dog, it could result in that person losing their dog. My feeling is that I’ve got a better chance at not getting bit, by moving, rather than standing still, and if they make the conscious effort to unleash their dog, they better know how its going to react when someone rides by. Anyway, what do you do?
I don't give a phuck about a dog becoming lost after chasing. If the dog is off leash and is too stupid to find it's way back (or the owner too stupid to realize this) then that's the owner's problem, not yours.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Actually you have a better chance of not getting bit by getting off the bike and using it as a shield between you and the dog.

That being said fvck the owners. They are breaking the law by taking the dog off the leash. I never understand why they do this especially when walking. Regardless of that, if you are going to break the law then at least be sure you can control your animal. If the dog is running off and not returning to your command then you are not controlling your animal.

·
Unpredictable
2,208 Posts
There's a local dog near a trail intersection that always barks and comes over when riders stop there. If you wait for him to approach he will never come close or give up barking. When you ride away, he chases. The owner is a nice guy and he has no problem with riders, plus his kids are learning MTB. He says the dog is protecting his daughter's pony. We know it isn't dangerous, but it puts on a show. Problem is that riding away with a dog barking and chasing reinforces the dog's behaviour. It thinks, "I am great, I chased another rider away".

No-one wants to be bitten, but by riding off you are really transferring your problem onto the next rider and telling the dog to do the same thing over again. It's better to slow to a stop, don't make eye contact with the dog and get the owner to collect it IMO.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
So how about this semi related story.... I get back from a quick 5-6 mile ride near my house on Saturday morning and am sitting on my front porch with my great Dane and black lab. Roadie goes by, looks at me and proceeds to start barking at my dogs. This irritates my dogs and they run after roadie stopping at the edge of the yard.(thank you shock collar training) I yell at roadie and flip him the bird. What an idiot! I mean who provokes a dog while on a bike? OK I'm done ranting.
If dogs bark at me, I bark back.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts